Portishead Porters looking for help
A PORTISHEAD group providing vital transport to and from hospital appointments is in need of more volunteers.
Portishead Porters has been serving the community since 1993 and has now carried more than 26,500 patients on such journeys.
In the first year, 371 journeys were made but requests for transport now average about 150 per month.
Therefore, more volunteers are needed to join the team, which is currently made up of more than 45 people.
Anyone interested in helping needs to be under the age of 75, have their own car and be willing to drive patients during the working week.
You may also want to watch:
There is no requirement to make a specific regular commitment - drivers are contacted some days in advance of an appointment to see who is available.
Drivers receive 45p per mile to cover costs and will be expected to wait until the patient is ready to go home, except in the case of lengthy procedures.
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 How to order free Covid home tests
- 3 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 4 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 5 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 6 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 7 Celebrations after non-essential shops and pubs reopen in North Somerset
- 8 Trigger chosen to develop project for Festival UK* 2022
- 9 Special school expansion progress
- 10 Jones "proud" of what he achieved with Ashton & Backwell United
Anyone interested should call Vera Sanders on 01275 814002 or Colin Baser on 846100.