Portishead Porters looking for help
A PORTISHEAD group providing vital transport to and from hospital appointments is in need of more volunteers.
Portishead Porters has been serving the community since 1993 and has now carried more than 26,500 patients on such journeys.
In the first year, 371 journeys were made but requests for transport now average about 150 per month.
Therefore, more volunteers are needed to join the team, which is currently made up of more than 45 people.
Anyone interested in helping needs to be under the age of 75, have their own car and be willing to drive patients during the working week.
You may also want to watch:
There is no requirement to make a specific regular commitment - drivers are contacted some days in advance of an appointment to see who is available.
Drivers receive 45p per mile to cover costs and will be expected to wait until the patient is ready to go home, except in the case of lengthy procedures.
- 1 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 2 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 3 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 4 Clevedon Marine Lake reopens
- 5 Chiropractors report increase in patients with back and neck pain due to home working
- 6 Summer show goes down a treat in Portishead
- 7 Portishead's Amelie Morgan wins team bronze at Tokyo Olympics
- 8 Council plea to public as services impacted by pingdemic
- 9 Portishead's Morgan excited to make Olympic final
- 10 New village scout hut in greenbelt approved
Anyone interested should call Vera Sanders on 01275 814002 or Colin Baser on 846100.