Portishead Lido to hold festive swims on two days this year
- Credit: Portishead Open Air Pool
Brave swimmers will have two chances to take a dip at Portishead Lido over the Christmas holiday.
Due to popular demand, the pool’s trustees have decided to open the outdoor pool on Christmas Day and Boxing Day to allow hardy souls to have a swim over the festive period.
The events are aimed at allowing people to have a laugh with Christmas jumpers and other festive attire often chosen by swimmers.
The event has become a bit of a tradition in Portishead, but it had to be cancelled last year due to maintenance work.
There will be a half-hour session on Christmas Day and a longer two-hour one the following day. Both will get underway at 10.30am.
You may also want to watch:
Trustee Barbara Thatcher said: “Portishead Open Air Pool is welcoming everyone to our free community events on Christmas and Boxing Day mornings.
“After a break last year because of major maintenance work, we are once again running our extremely popular Christmas morning dip and this year, by popular demand, we are adding another chance for a fun splash on Boxing Day.”
- 1 Car show produced in Clevedon proving to be popular among petrolheads
- 2 Roomy chocolate-box cottage packed with period features
- 3 Christmas messages to honour loved ones with Portishead Tree of Light
- 4 Shop Local: Chamber of commerce urges people to utilise high street independents this weekend
- 5 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 6 Support Portishead and Nailsea Lions clubs with Santa Float collections this December
- 7 New bike racks installed in Portishead High Street
- 8 Portishead building firm wins national award
- 9 School girls creates Christmas cards for charity
The pre-Christmas lunch dip will see doors open at 10.15am and the pool cleared by 11am.
There will be hot and cold refreshments on sale at the tuck shop, including mulled wine.
Barbara added: “If you wake up on Boxing Day feeling as stuffed as the turkey why not come and join us for a bracing cold water dip to get your metabolism going. Doors open at 10.30am.
“There will be lanes in, so the serious cold-water swimmers can work up a sweat, and the rest of the pool will be available for dippers and bobbers looking to wash away the cobwebs.
“Wetsuits, Christmas jumpers, Santa hats and reindeer antlers welcome but not compulsory.
“On both days, we make no charge for either swimmers or spectators, and it’s a great festive atmosphere to soak up.
“Certificates of bravery available for any swimmer who’d like one.
“Donations on the day will be very welcome, if you wish to contribute to the upkeep of the pool.”
The pool will not be heated on either day but the changing rooms and hot showers will be available.
Any swimmer under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult.