Man to run half marathon for cancer charity
- Credit: Sirona
A Portishead man is taking on the Bath Half Marathon to raise money for Prostate Cancer UK in memory of his uncle.
Harry Lawrence, who works for Sirona care & health, wants to raise awareness of prostate cancer and the importance of attending check-ups after his uncle Dave Lawrence died of the disease.
He said: “Last year my uncle passed away due to an aggressive form prostate cancer.
"Following that, my closest friend’s father had a close encounter with prostate cancer but, luckily, was caught early enough to treat.”
Harry, who previously worked at a GP surgery in south Bristol, said he became very concerned about the number of men dying prematurely from prostate cancer.
He worked to improve diagnosis, care and follow-ups for a number of different cancers, which led to an increase in screenings for most forms of the disease. However, uptake for prostate screenings remained low.
He added: “I am hoping to raise some awareness, even if it is minor, to encourage people to attend a screening, and also to run in my uncle’s memory.”
- 1 Construction training centre opens in Portishead
- 2 M5 closed after morning crash - causing FIVE MILES of tailbacks
- 3 Portishead-Bristol bus plan would save £100 MILLION, campaigner claims
- 4 Geocaching added to Nailsea Heritage Trail
- 5 Legal challenge over plans to dump dredging waste off Portishead
- 6 Residents fear new homes between Nailsea and Backwell could 'open the floodgates'
- 7 Taxpayers paid £60k for Liam Fox's failed bid for WTO job: Reports
- 8 Appeal launched to save town's Christmas light displays
- 9 Weston bathing water rated 'poor' and swimming discouraged
- 10 Martin Kemp to play 1980s tunes in Weston this weekend
The Bath Half Marathon is taking place on March 13.
To donate, log on to www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Harry-Lawrence23