Portishead man, 70, raises thousands for children's charity
- Credit: Bill Lloyd
A Portishead man has raised thousands of pounds for a children’s charity by completing a 70-mile walk.
Bill Lloyd was planning in April to celebrate his forthcoming 70th birthday by walking 70 miles.
This was to be a four-day walk around the Isle of Wight and Bill raised more than £2,800 for the Children's Hospice South West.
The arrival of Covid-19 meant that the trip had to be postponed but, in order to achieve his goal, Bill did walk 70 miles of the Brecon and Mon Canal over three days, with the promise he would complete the walk as soon as time and circumstances permitted it.
Bill finally completed the Isle of Wight Coast Path at the end of September, which with various diversions, amounted to a walk of 75 miles over four days.
Bill said: "The whole walk, although tiring, was a great experience with wonderful scenery and coastal paths - not to mention a few pints afterwards."
- 1 Decision on Portishead Station delayed until next year
- 2 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 3 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 4 Ashton & Backwell United bow out of Buildbase FA Vase after Bemerton Heath Harlequins defeat
- 5 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
- 6 Responses to Portishead Lake Grounds consultation published
- 7 Christmas messages to honour loved ones with Portishead Tree of Light
- 8 Primary school wins a second award for its focus on pupils’ mental wellbeing
- 9 Estate agents invites children to create Halloween window displays
- 10 Clevedon Marine Lake to be drained