Portishead light switch-on Monday
GOLD medallist Imogen Cairns, who picked up two medals in this year’s Commonwealth Games, will switch on Portishead’s Christmas lights on Monday.
The 21-year-old, who lives and trains in Portishead, will join Santa and a whole host of other celebrities on the stage outside Somerset Hall in High Street for the switch-on at 6.30pm
BBC weather girl Jemma Cooper will MC the countdown, which will see the road closed from the Wyndham Way/High Street junction to Combe Road for the event.
A group of volunteers work tirelessly all year round to provide the festive illuminations.
Spokesman Barry Randall said: “Following months of preparation, volunteers will be working all weekend to put lights up through the centre of town but it is having the support of the whole community that makes it all possible.”
You may also want to watch:
Portishead’s royal family will accompany Santa as he makes his way through High Street in his sleigh for the occasion.
There will be an opportunity for children to hand their letters to Santa before a concluding firework display.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 4 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 5 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 6 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 7 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 8 Carpenter wants top Clevedon performance for President's Day
- 9 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 10 Save Weston Big Wood gatherings this weekend