Portishead Library opening hours to increase thanks to swipecard entry
- Credit: Archant
Portishead Library’s opening hours are to more than double.
It will be first in the area to introduce a swipecard system so users can access it outside of normal opening times.
It means from December the library will be available to use 78 hours a week, compared to 37.5 at present.
Felicity Baker, North Somerset Council’s executive member for libraries, said: “Convenience is important and this will give people greater flexibility in how and when they use the service.
“The new technology is designed to complement the core staffed hours, enabling libraries to stay open longer in the evenings and at weekends.
You may also want to watch:
“It means people will have the choice of visiting during hours when staff are available or during the unstaffed self-serve hours.”
The library will be shut from November 14-17 and November 28-29 so the technology can be installed.
- 1 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 2 From cleaning windows to playing for Ashton & Backwell - Coleman's story
- 3 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 4 Earthfare celebrates launch in Portishead
- 5 WIN: Tickets to Oasis concert screening at Clevedon's Curzon Cinema
- 6 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 7 Huge housing extension planned for North Somerset town
- 8 Children encouraged to take up Covid jab
- 9 Wildlife expert joins Portishead Arts Festival line-up
- 10 Hotel and wedding venue has seen business surge over summer
A similar system is planned for Yatton Library.