Portbury Hundred shooting: Man in car said to have had handgun as police confirm firearms were shot
- Credit: PA
Police have this evening (Wednesday) confirmed they were called to the Portbury Hundred incident after concerns were raised the man in the car had a handgun.
Earlier this morning a shooting occurred which involved police firearms and a man died.
The incident happened on the A369 near junction 19 of the M5, at around 10am and the road has been closed most of the day.
A spokesman for Avon and Somerset Constabulary said: “Earlier this morning we received calls from concerned members of the public travelling on the M5 who reported they had seen a man in a car with a handgun.
“The vehicle left the motorway at junction 19 and officers stopped the car on the A369 known as the Portbury Hundred. Shots were subsequently fired in an incident involving police firearms and a man has died.
You may also want to watch:
“We referred the incident to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC); they’re now on the scene carrying out an independent investigation which we are supporting.”
- 1 Decision on Portishead Station delayed until next year
- 2 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 3 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 4 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
- 5 Responses to Portishead Lake Grounds consultation published
- 6 Ashton & Backwell United bow out of Buildbase FA Vase after Bemerton Heath Harlequins defeat
- 7 Christmas messages to honour loved ones with Portishead Tree of Light
- 8 Primary school wins a second award for its focus on pupils’ mental wellbeing
- 9 Estate agents invites children to create Halloween window displays
- 10 October in the garden: Flamboyant foliage to brighten our days