Pool inspires new online campaign
THE success of Portishead Open Air Pool has inspired a national scheme set up to help save other swimming pools across the country.
Olympic swimming champions Duncan Goodhew and Rebecca Adlington have joined forces with the British swimming sponsor British Gas and the Amateur Swimming Association to support the launch of Pool-watch.co.uk
The online resource has been set up to provide a potential lifeline for communities fighting to keep their local swimming pools afloat, and organisers say it was inspired by the successful Portishead Pool campaign.
Portishead Open Air Pool was closed under local authority ownership in September 2008 and opened as a community trust in May 2009. The Trust is made up of local residents.
Olympic breaststroke champion Duncan Goodhew said: “I strongly believe we need to help communities fight to keep their local pools open, otherwise swimming will stop being an activity that’s accessible to all.
You may also want to watch:
“If people get together and take a stand they can become a powerful force in the battle to save their swimming facilities, and Pool-watch.co.uk is there to help them build the strongest case possible.”
Pool-watch aims to provide help for those who need support and practical information to save their local pool, such as where to go for funding or how to create a business plan. It also features case studies from successful save our pool campaigns.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 EE switches on super-fast 5G in Portishead
- 3 School offering transport to vaccination appointments
- 4 Portishead garden protected from development
- 5 Huge country house in historic setting, with views and a pool
- 6 Police thank Portishead community after call leads to arrests for vehicle crime
- 7 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 8 Clevedon re-sign former wicketkeeper Will Plummer from Weston ahead of 2021 season
- 9 Hundreds of North Somerset patients receive coronavirus vaccine
- 10 Portishead GP reminds people to wait for coronavirus vaccine call
Portishead Open Air Pool trustee Andy Thatcher said: “We are delighted to hear that our campaign has been held up as an inspiration to other communities and we wish Pool-watch every success.”