Pool inspires new online campaign
THE success of Portishead Open Air Pool has inspired a national scheme set up to help save other swimming pools across the country.
Olympic swimming champions Duncan Goodhew and Rebecca Adlington have joined forces with the British swimming sponsor British Gas and the Amateur Swimming Association to support the launch of Pool-watch.co.uk
The online resource has been set up to provide a potential lifeline for communities fighting to keep their local swimming pools afloat, and organisers say it was inspired by the successful Portishead Pool campaign.
Portishead Open Air Pool was closed under local authority ownership in September 2008 and opened as a community trust in May 2009. The Trust is made up of local residents.
Olympic breaststroke champion Duncan Goodhew said: “I strongly believe we need to help communities fight to keep their local pools open, otherwise swimming will stop being an activity that’s accessible to all.
You may also want to watch:
“If people get together and take a stand they can become a powerful force in the battle to save their swimming facilities, and Pool-watch.co.uk is there to help them build the strongest case possible.”
Pool-watch aims to provide help for those who need support and practical information to save their local pool, such as where to go for funding or how to create a business plan. It also features case studies from successful save our pool campaigns.
- 1 Residents rally to support Save Weston Big Wood campaign
- 2 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 3 Clevedon Skatepark shut over safety fears
- 4 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 5 Clevedon resident raises more than £9k for MS research
- 6 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 7 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 8 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 9 Clevedon return to top of WEPL table with win over Lansdown
- 10 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
Portishead Open Air Pool trustee Andy Thatcher said: “We are delighted to hear that our campaign has been held up as an inspiration to other communities and we wish Pool-watch every success.”