Pool inspires new online campaign
THE success of Portishead Open Air Pool has inspired a national scheme set up to help save other swimming pools across the country.
Olympic swimming champions Duncan Goodhew and Rebecca Adlington have joined forces with the British swimming sponsor British Gas and the Amateur Swimming Association to support the launch of Pool-watch.co.uk
The online resource has been set up to provide a potential lifeline for communities fighting to keep their local swimming pools afloat, and organisers say it was inspired by the successful Portishead Pool campaign.
Portishead Open Air Pool was closed under local authority ownership in September 2008 and opened as a community trust in May 2009. The Trust is made up of local residents.
Olympic breaststroke champion Duncan Goodhew said: “I strongly believe we need to help communities fight to keep their local pools open, otherwise swimming will stop being an activity that’s accessible to all.
“If people get together and take a stand they can become a powerful force in the battle to save their swimming facilities, and Pool-watch.co.uk is there to help them build the strongest case possible.”
Pool-watch aims to provide help for those who need support and practical information to save their local pool, such as where to go for funding or how to create a business plan. It also features case studies from successful save our pool campaigns.
- 1 Fatal collision in Clevedon leaves man in his 70s dead
- 2 House of Commons gives Liam Fox reason for Portishead Rail delay
- 3 Clevedon B&M redevelopment approved, despite hundreds of objections
- 4 Santa routes for towns this December are revealed
- 5 Extension to cycling route could be approved next year
- 6 Friends opt for career change with new Backwell distillery
- 7 New Mercury and Times editor appointed
- 8 Remembrance service for crew who died in air crash
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
Portishead Open Air Pool trustee Andy Thatcher said: “We are delighted to hear that our campaign has been held up as an inspiration to other communities and we wish Pool-watch every success.”