Police announce building project partners
THE consortium tasked with creating a police firearms training facility in Portishead has been revealed.
Avon and Somerset Constabulary has been given permission to appoint Blue Light Partnership as the force’s associate in the project which will see the creation of a new operational base, two custody and crime investigation centres, two police stations and the tri-force firearms training facility across the force area.
The firearms centre will be used by officers from the Avon and Somerset, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire constabularies and will be created at Black Rock Quarry off Valley Road.
With two enclosed indoor firing ranges and a means-of-entry tactics house, the centre will be used to train officers to the same standard and promote greater coordination across the forces.
The Blue Light Partnership is made up of Bilfinger Berger Project Investments, Miller Construction, facilities manager Cofely, and designers Haverstock Associates, Ryder Architecture and Scott Wilson.
You may also want to watch:
The project, the funding for which has come from private finance initiatives, will see a total of �71.2million spent on the buildings’ construction, furniture and fittings and the first fit of IT.
The scheme will create 33 apprenticeship opportunities as well as the chance for 16 offenders to be involved in the construction process. Schools and colleges will also have the chance to link up with the programme.
- 1 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 2 Village bar open again and wants people to help keep it running
- 3 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 4 U-turn as West of England Combined Authority formally opposes Bristol Airport expansion
- 5 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 6 Duck race raises £1,000 for children's hospice
- 7 WIN: Tickets to latest James Bond film
- 8 Town to celebrate art and crafts with inaugural festival
- 9 Procession held at beach memorial to give thanks to NHS
- 10 Woodspring Women earn first ever win over Burnham United Ladies Reserves
Planning applications are due to be submitted very soon with the aim of beginning construction in September and completing the buildings between January and March of 2014.