Pleas for remedy to ‘astonishing’ road
DRIVERS are being forced to drive on the wrong side of a Clevedon road due to the huge potholes running along it.
At a meeting of Clevedon Town Council, resident of St Johns Road, Richard Westwood, spoke to members to raise concerns about the state of the road where he lives.
He said: “The condition of the road has gone from appalling to astonishing.
“It really is dreadful.
“The other day I noticed a car coming down the hill and spotted how the driver moved from the left hand side of the road and came over to the right hand side because of the state of the road.
You may also want to watch:
“There is literally 20 yards of ruts on the left hand side.”
A North Somerset Council spokesman explained that Hillside Road and St Johns Road are one of 60 projects included in the authority’s highways maintenance programme for this financial year.
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 How to order free Covid home tests
- 3 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 4 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 5 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 6 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 7 Celebrations after non-essential shops and pubs reopen in North Somerset
- 8 Trigger chosen to develop project for Festival UK* 2022
- 9 Special school expansion progress
- 10 Jones "proud" of what he achieved with Ashton & Backwell United
They are due to be resurfaced in the next 12 months along with Bellevue Road, Kennaway Road, Old Church Road, Old Street, Marson Road, Pizey Avenue and Victoria Road.
The spokesman added: “Our highways officer will ask an area officer to go and look at St Johns Road and Hillside Road.
“If any of those potholes are considered dangerous then we will get them filled in sooner than the planned resurfacing.
“Any potholes that we do consider dangerous will be filled within 24 hours.”
For a rut in the road to be considered a pothole by North Somerset Council, it must be at least 40mm deep and 300mm wide.