Plans deferred over parking concerns
ISSUES over a lack of parking in Portishead have resulted in two large planning applications for the town being put on hold.
Proposals for a 108-bedroom hotel in Harbour Road and plans for 58 sheltered apartments at the Grange Farm site in High Street were due to be decided on by North Somerset councillors on Friday.
However, during discussions about both applications, members of the authority’s north area planning committee raised concerns about the amount of parking proposed.
This resulted in decisions for both being deferred until the committee’s next meeting on April 4.
The application for a Holiday Inn Express hotel on the corner of Harbour Road and Newfoundland Way includes 108 bedrooms, a bar, meeting facilities, a restaurant and 87 parking spaces.
You may also want to watch:
At Friday’s meeting, councillors raised concerns about a lack of parking already present in that area of the town due to the number of new restaurants, bars and shops.
The proposals for Grange Farm in High Street would see 58 sheltered apartments for the elderly being created with communal facilities and a 24-space car park.
- 1 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
- 2 Decision on Portishead Station delayed until next year
- 3 Beautiful Edwardian villa near Clevedon's seafront
- 4 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 5 Clevedon Marine Lake to be drained
- 6 Camera club wants new members to join
- 7 New officer verification process introduced by police
- 8 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 9 North Somerset residents at risk of PCR lab mix up
- 10 Mental health safe space unveiled in Nailsea
Portishead and North Weston Town Council objected to the plans due to the lack of parking, overbearing nature of the three-storey buildings and overdevelopment of the site. Another 12 people also made objections.
At Friday’s meeting, Councillor Felicity Baker said: “This is outrageous. Are we saying that when people get to 55-60 they no longer need a car? One space for every three apartments is wrong.”
The decision was deferred to allow a site meeting to take place.