Picture gallery: Thousands attend raft race
THOUSANDS of people flocked to Portishead’s Lake Grounds for the annual raft race on Sunday.
The event was bigger and better than ever with 30 rafts taking part, barbecues, sideshows, stalls and live music on a purpose built stage.
Crowds gathered to watch enthusiasts take to the water in their home made crafts to battle it out in some of the fastest races the event has seen.
BBC weather girl Jemma Cooper provided commentary throughout the afternoon and the sunshine topped-off the action-packed family day.
There was fun and laughter for both sailors and spectators, as some rafts stormed ahead, while others limped past the finishing post with participants swimming in, towing their vessel behind them. The Top Gear raft was the overall winner, while the Hammer Lidl House of Horrors picked up the cup for most sponsorship.
You may also want to watch:
Organisers say they expect the race to have raised more than �10,000, which will be given to the Portishead Lifeboat Trust and other local charities.
- 1 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 2 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 3 Clevedon Marine Lake reopens
- 4 Summer show goes down a treat in Portishead
- 5 Portishead's Amelie Morgan wins team bronze at Tokyo Olympics
- 6 Portishead's Morgan excited to make Olympic final
- 7 New village scout hut in greenbelt approved
- 8 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 9 Chiropractors report increase in patients with back and neck pain due to home working
- 10 'Amazing atmosphere' at return of Clevedon Parkrun