Picture gallery: Portishead Carnival
PORTISHEAD carnival-goers refused to let the rain dampen their spirits as thousands lined the streets to support the town’s annual event.
Despite early downpours and the occasional shower during the parade, the town was alive with carnival atmosphere.
More than 20 entries of larger than life vibrant floats, hand-crafted by schoolchildren, community groups and local businesses, along with smaller floats, motorbikes, animal clubs, walking parties and marching bands weaved their way through the streets.
Families arrived in their masses, with umbrellas at the ready, to cheer on the procession.
Members of Portishead Running Club started the day’s events from the Lake Grounds with a road race at midday. The Portishead royal family then led the procession in an open top bus, through High Street to Gordano School, opposite the carnival field.
You may also want to watch:
Trophies and certificates were awarded in 10 categories with Best Behaved Dog Training School being judged supreme champion, with its entry of 101 Dalmatians.
Fun fair rides, stalls, refreshments and live music kept everyone busy all afternoon and to round the day off, The Spooks played to more than 100 revellers at the carnival after party at Somerset Hall.
- 1 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 2 Earthfare celebrates launch in Portishead
- 3 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 4 Pretty character cottage in Yatton outskirts
- 5 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 6 WIN: Tickets to Oasis concert screening at Clevedon's Curzon Cinema
- 7 Hotel and wedding venue has seen business surge over summer
- 8 From cleaning windows to playing for Ashton & Backwell - Coleman's story
- 9 Highland calf born for first time in five years at zoo
- 10 Masked man caught spying on couple in North Somerset village