One dead and three injured in Nailsea car crash
- Credit: Archant
An 18-year-old has died and three people have been injured in a car accident in Nailsea, with police arresting a man on suspicion of drink-driving.
A Volvo car was in collision with two groups of people in Clevedon Road, near the fire station, at 5am this morning (Sunday).
It collided with two men initially – believed to be 18 and 20 years – and then collided with a man and a woman in their late 20s before hitting a telegraph pole.
The two men were taken to Southmead Hospital, where the teenager died shortly after arriving. The 20-year-old is in a critical condition, according to police.
Police arrested the driver on suspicion of drink driving at the scene and remains in police custody.
You may also want to watch:
The other two people who were injured are not in a life-threatening condition.
The women did require hospital treatment but the third man was allowed to go home after being checked over.
- 1 Clevedon Marine Lake to be drained
- 2 North Somerset residents at risk of PCR lab mix up
- 3 Decision on Portishead Station delayed until next year
- 4 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 5 Mental health safe space unveiled in Nailsea
- 6 Driving group needs more volunteers
- 7 Beautiful Edwardian villa near Clevedon's seafront
- 8 PICTURES: Nailsea farmers market birthday party
- 9 Camera club wants new members to join
- 10 Bleadon-cold: Council's gritters return with sustainable fuel
Clevedon Road remains closed for a detailed inspection by collision investigators. It is likely to remain closed for most of the day, according to police.
A spokesman for Avon and Somerset Constabulary said: “We are keen to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time of the incident who may have information to help our enquiries.
“Anyone able to help is asked to contact the collision investigation unit on the force number 101, quoting reference 5216032526.”
UPDATE (6pm): The road is now open, according to the police’s website.