Olympic torch cheerers wanted
SCHOOLCHILDREN are being sought to herald an Olympic torch bearer who will run through the streets of Backwell on May 23.
Backwell Parish Council is busy planning the event, which will pass along the A370 from Flax Bourton, towards the traffic lights at the crossroads in the village.
It will then turn right into Station Road and wind past the lake heading for Nailsea.
Flags and bunting will adorn the route and the council is planning refreshments at the parish hall.
Times, police presence, road closures and the number of people who will accompany the torch carrier are yet to be confirmed.
You may also want to watch:
Schools, organisations and residents who want to participate are asked to contact the parish clerk, by emailing email@example.com or by calling 01275 464653. Clerk Jane Stone said: “This is a thrilling and unique opportunity to witness an historical occasion and we are sure the residents of Backwell will come out in force to cheer on the torch bearer.”
- 1 Changes to North Somerset Council’s executive team announced
- 2 Contemporary living with lovely estuary views
- 3 Creation of 'flimsy' roles at £7,000 is 'indefensible', says North Somerset councillor
- 4 Lord-Lieutenant unveils memorial to commemorate village war dead
- 5 Surfer sets up new water sports business in North Somerset
- 6 April 12: Air ambulance charity has busiest week on record
- 7 Business delivering fresh fish and meat plans to expand
- 8 Cleeve claim friendly win at Hambrook
- 9 How to order free Covid home tests
- 10 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser