Olympic torch cheerers wanted
SCHOOLCHILDREN are being sought to herald an Olympic torch bearer who will run through the streets of Backwell on May 23.
Backwell Parish Council is busy planning the event, which will pass along the A370 from Flax Bourton, towards the traffic lights at the crossroads in the village.
It will then turn right into Station Road and wind past the lake heading for Nailsea.
Flags and bunting will adorn the route and the council is planning refreshments at the parish hall.
Times, police presence, road closures and the number of people who will accompany the torch carrier are yet to be confirmed.
You may also want to watch:
Schools, organisations and residents who want to participate are asked to contact the parish clerk, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 01275 464653. Clerk Jane Stone said: “This is a thrilling and unique opportunity to witness an historical occasion and we are sure the residents of Backwell will come out in force to cheer on the torch bearer.”
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 4 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 5 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 6 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 7 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 8 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 9 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 10 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'