Olympic flame to travel through North Somerset
THE Olympic flame will travel through North Somerset on the morning of May 23, carried by a group of local inspirational people.
The first North Somerset torchbearer to be announced is James Bailey, aged 20, of Congresbury who will carry the torch on part of its journey through the district.
The torch will arrive in North Somerset on day five of its national tour and the leg of the torch relay begins at 6.20am on the A370, in Station Road, Flax Bourton.
The relay will continue along the A370 to Backwell, turning right to Nailsea along Station Road.
Once in Nailsea the torch will travel along Queens Road, Mizzymead Road and then onto the High Street at 7.18am.
You may also want to watch:
James said: “I am very surprised to be chosen as it was such tough competition. The Olympics are the biggest sporting event in the world and to be part of that is pretty special.
“I think I’ll be pretty nervous on the day and I’m hoping that I don’t drop the torch – I’d hate to end up on YouTube for the wrong reasons.”
- 1 Changes to North Somerset Council’s executive team announced
- 2 Contemporary living with lovely estuary views
- 3 Creation of 'flimsy' roles at £7,000 is 'indefensible', says North Somerset councillor
- 4 Lord-Lieutenant unveils memorial to commemorate village war dead
- 5 Surfer sets up new water sports business in North Somerset
- 6 April 12: Air ambulance charity has busiest week on record
- 7 Business delivering fresh fish and meat plans to expand
- 8 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser
- 9 Cleeve claim friendly win at Hambrook
- 10 How to order free Covid home tests
The next opportunity to see the torch will be in Failand on the B3128 Clevedon Road at 7.33am.
Cllr Felicity Baker, executive member for leisure, said: “I would encourage everyone to set their alarms early on May 23 to share in this once in a lifetime opportunity.
The torch will be in North Somerset for an hour and a half, and during that time will be carried by James and other fellow amazing local people.”