Tributes to a ‘perfect gentleman’
A perfect gentleman and a true sportsman are the words used to describe a well-known sporting figure who died earlier this month.
Brian Deverill, a popular character on the North Somerset bowls circuit for the past 25 years, playing for West Backwell Bowling Club as well as Nailsea and Bristol indoor bowling clubs, died on October 9.
The 73-year-old, of Mizzymead Rise, Nailsea, was also highly thought of for his generous sponsorship of the Clevedon and District League, which made him a household name in bowling circles.
Brian, a father-of-two and a grandfather, was a sportsman all of his life, playing football, squash, badminton and table tennis, as well as cricket for Flax Bourton. He also refereed football matches and coached others in football and bowls.
Roger Spragg, secretary of the Clevedon and District Bowling Association and a close friend of Brian’s, said: “He was always involved with sport.
You may also want to watch:
“As the years took their toll, Brian turned to bowls, where he maintained the highest of standards, always striving for that extra shot to frustrate the opposition but sportingly accepting the response of the opponent.
“He was always a true sportsman and a perfect gentleman.
- 1 Long-standing Clevedon gift store transformed under new owners
- 2 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
- 3 Funding ensures children benefit from healthy food and holiday clubs this summer
- 4 Council agrees development plan for Nailsea site
- 5 Covid warning issued in North Somerset
- 6 Green Party candidate elected to council following by-election win
- 7 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 8 PICTURES: Inside Clevedon Pier's Glass Box Cafe
- 9 Yatton development welcomes first movers
- 10 Sections of historic Portishead railway line to be reused for project
“With his coaching, he was always looking to put something back into the groups he has been involved with.”
A funeral for Brian will be held at Bristol Crematorium at 11am on Monday. Mourners are invited to attend Mizzymead Recreation Centre in Nailsea after the ceremony.