Tributes paid to much-loved actor
- Credit: supplied
TRIBUTES have been paid to Chris Harris, the West Country’s favourite pantomime dame, who died on April 30 after experiencing complications related to cancer.
The highly talented actor, writer and director, who lived in Portishead with his wife Victoria, was aged 71.
Chris was a well-known character in Portishead, always willing to support community events from the switching on of the town’s Christmas lights to the opening of school fairs or the launch of a new business.
He taught and performed around the world but is remembered most fondly for writing, directing and starring in pantomimes at both the Bristol Old Vic and Bath’s Theatre Royal. His last panto, Peter Pan, ran until January 12 this year.
Paying tribute to his father, son Sam said: “Dad loved Portishead and had many wonderful years living here. The messages from friends and neighbours have meant a great deal to us and we would like to thank everyone for their love and support.
You may also want to watch:
“It was lovely to visit The Ship on Sunday and share some memories along with a pint or two of Otter, with his friends at the Sunday Club. Portishead will always be a place I visit to remember the kind, generous, gentleman and joker my dad was.”
Chris’s other son Matt, along with his wife Gabe and grandsons Leo and Arley, are travelling halfway across the world from their home in Melbourne, Australia, to be with the rest of the family in Portishead.
- 1 PICTURES: Clevedon Marine Lake releases Eco-pod design plan
- 2 Bristol International Balloon Fiesta launches Fiesta Fortnight event
- 3 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 4 Clevedon Skatepark shut over safety fears
- 5 Residents rally to support Save Weston Big Wood campaign
- 6 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 7 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 8 Clevedon resident raises more than £9k for MS research
- 9 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 10 PICTURES: Hot air balloons take flight over Bristol at Fiesta Fortnight launch