Former town councillor dies
- Credit: n/a
Tributes have been paid to a former Portishead town councillor who died last week.
Derek Rigby was married to Bridget and the pair lived in the Redcliffe Bay area of town.
In his spare time, Derek was a volunteer of a number of bodies, including being a trustee for the North Somerset Conservative Association.
He also was involved with the Probus club in Portishead and served on the town council. He infamously quit in 2006 over the town council’s deal to lease land to Portishead Town Football Club which he felt was against taxpayers’ interest.
Derek died aged 86 and his funeral will be held on April 23 at 2.15pm.
You may also want to watch:
It will take place at Canford Cemetery and Crematorium in Bristol.
Cllr David Pasley said: “He has bravely battled through serious health problems for some time but was determined to fight cancer and heart-related problems.
- 1 10 beauty spots in North Somerset
- 2 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 3 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 4 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 5 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 6 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 7 Ashton & Backwell begin new season with defeat at Keynsham
- 8 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 9 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 10 Save Weston Big Wood gatherings this weekend
“He was a close friend of mine and I will miss him.”