Former town councillor dies
- Credit: n/a
Tributes have been paid to a former Portishead town councillor who died last week.
Derek Rigby was married to Bridget and the pair lived in the Redcliffe Bay area of town.
In his spare time, Derek was a volunteer of a number of bodies, including being a trustee for the North Somerset Conservative Association.
He also was involved with the Probus club in Portishead and served on the town council. He infamously quit in 2006 over the town council’s deal to lease land to Portishead Town Football Club which he felt was against taxpayers’ interest.
Derek died aged 86 and his funeral will be held on April 23 at 2.15pm.
You may also want to watch:
It will take place at Canford Cemetery and Crematorium in Bristol.
Cllr David Pasley said: “He has bravely battled through serious health problems for some time but was determined to fight cancer and heart-related problems.
- 1 £350k funds for North Somerset projects opens
- 2 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
- 3 New school to open in Yatton later this year
- 4 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 5 How to order free Covid home tests
- 6 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser
- 7 Restaurateur pledges to raise £5k for cinema
- 8 Group protests against new police and crime bill
- 9 Rotary thanks shoppers for foodbank donations in lockdowns
- 10 Restaurants celebrate successful first week after April 12 reopening
“He was a close friend of mine and I will miss him.”