Former town councillor dies
- Credit: n/a
Tributes have been paid to a former Portishead town councillor who died last week.
Derek Rigby was married to Bridget and the pair lived in the Redcliffe Bay area of town.
In his spare time, Derek was a volunteer of a number of bodies, including being a trustee for the North Somerset Conservative Association.
He also was involved with the Probus club in Portishead and served on the town council. He infamously quit in 2006 over the town council’s deal to lease land to Portishead Town Football Club which he felt was against taxpayers’ interest.
Derek died aged 86 and his funeral will be held on April 23 at 2.15pm.
You may also want to watch:
It will take place at Canford Cemetery and Crematorium in Bristol.
Cllr David Pasley said: “He has bravely battled through serious health problems for some time but was determined to fight cancer and heart-related problems.
- 1 Plant-based diet helps Clevedon man fight cancer
- 2 How a Nailsea care home weathered the Covid-19 storm
- 3 Villagers object to 'totally inappropriate' housing proposal
- 4 Businesses donate nearly 500 computers to support pupils in lockdown
- 5 Nursery birthday parties provide normality to children in lockdown
- 6 Clevedon School thanks NHS with giant light display
- 7 More than 100 rough sleepers supported during pandemic in North Somerset
- 8 Caroline Goddard wins community hero competition
- 9 Chamber of commerce set to adopt name change
- 10 Portishead Town's Trueman cancer diagnosis prompts £50,000 fundraising initiative
“He was a close friend of mine and I will miss him.”