Former town councillor dies
- Credit: n/a
Tributes have been paid to a former Portishead town councillor who died last week.
Derek Rigby was married to Bridget and the pair lived in the Redcliffe Bay area of town.
In his spare time, Derek was a volunteer of a number of bodies, including being a trustee for the North Somerset Conservative Association.
He also was involved with the Probus club in Portishead and served on the town council. He infamously quit in 2006 over the town council’s deal to lease land to Portishead Town Football Club which he felt was against taxpayers’ interest.
Derek died aged 86 and his funeral will be held on April 23 at 2.15pm.
It will take place at Canford Cemetery and Crematorium in Bristol.
Cllr David Pasley said: “He has bravely battled through serious health problems for some time but was determined to fight cancer and heart-related problems.
- 1 Construction training centre opens in Portishead
- 2 M5 closed after morning crash - causing FIVE MILES of tailbacks
- 3 Taxpayers paid £60k for Liam Fox's failed bid for WTO job: Reports
- 4 Appeal launched to save town's Christmas light displays
- 5 Portishead-Bristol bus plan would save £100 MILLION, campaigner claims
- 6 Geocaching added to Nailsea Heritage Trail
- 7 Martin Kemp to play 1980s tunes in Weston this weekend
- 8 New Clevedon charity is helping to create the scientists of the future
- 9 WIN: Tickets to Olivier Award-winning play screening in Clevedon
- 10 Legal challenge over plans to dump dredging waste off Portishead
“He was a close friend of mine and I will miss him.”