Death was due to asbestos
ASBESTOS was the reason a Clevedon man, who refused hospital treatment, died.
An inquest was held at Flax Bourton Coroners Court last week following the death of 82-year-old Ronald Thomas.
Assistant deputy coroner Phillip Howells heard how the Searle Court resident, who had contracted asbestosis after working at the former Portishead Power Plant, was admitted to Weston General Hospital with pneumonia in June last year.
He deteriorated over a few days and died on June 28.
The former marine worked at the power plant, which has now been demolished, for nearly 15 years in the 1970s and 80s, and was exposed to asbestos on a regular basis.
You may also want to watch:
A verdict of industrial disease known as asbestosis was recorded.
n To leave a tribute to Ronald Thomas comment below
- 1 Long-standing Clevedon gift store transformed under new owners
- 2 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
- 3 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 4 Funding ensures children benefit from healthy food and holiday clubs this summer
- 5 Council agrees development plan for Nailsea site
- 6 Green Party candidate elected to council following by-election win
- 7 Covid warning issued in North Somerset
- 8 Nailsea pub crowned best in South West
- 9 Sections of historic Portishead railway line to be reused for project
- 10 PICTURES: Inside Clevedon Pier's Glass Box Cafe