North Somerset MP axed from Government role
- Credit: Victoria Jones/PA Wire
North Somerset MP Dr Liam Fox has been dumped from his role of Secretary of State for International Trade in Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s new Government.
Dr Fox, a long-term Brexit supporter, had served under previous PM Theresa May since 2016, but was a big advocate of Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt in the Tory leadership contest.
In a statement, Dr Fox said: "Sadly, I will be leaving the Government. It has been a privilege to have served as Secretary of State for International Trade these past three years.
"I am proud to have worked with a tremendously talented Department for International Trade team to boost trade and investment and prepare for Brexit.
"The world-class trade department we have built leaves the UK uniquely well-positioned to forge our new trading relationships beyond Europe and create a truly Global Britain.
You may also want to watch:
"But we must first undertake the momentous task of delivering on the instruction of the British people and leave the European Union. I look forward to supporting Boris Johnson and the government from the backbenches."
Mr Johnson was named the new Conservative Party leader on Tuesday after he achieved almost two-thirds of the vote of party members during the leadership contest.
- 1 Car show produced in Clevedon proving to be popular among petrolheads
- 2 Roomy chocolate-box cottage packed with period features
- 3 Shop Local: Chamber of commerce urges people to utilise high street independents this weekend
- 4 Christmas messages to honour loved ones with Portishead Tree of Light
- 5 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 6 Support Portishead and Nailsea Lions clubs with Santa Float collections this December
- 7 New bike racks installed in Portishead High Street
- 8 Clevedon Music Club cancels winter concert
- 9 Portishead building firm wins national award