Town council chairman cites personal reasons as he quits district role
- Credit: Lily Newton-Browne
A North Somerset councillor representing Portishead Independents has resigned.
The Portishead East ward seat for North Somerset Council will be advertised as vacant following Paul Gardner’s resignation.
Cllr Caritas Charles also represents the ward for the authority.
Mr Gardner, who chairs Portishead Town Council, says he leaves his district role ‘for personal reasons’ and his priority ‘is and always will be’ to the people of Portishead.
He said: “With sadness, I have resigned as a North Somerset councillor for personal reasons. I remain committed to my role as chair of Portishead Town Council where my priority is and always will be the people of Portishead and I look forward to working in partnership with North Somerset Council to protect and promote positive futures for Portishead residents.
You may also want to watch:
“It has been a pleasure working with North Somerset councillors and officers during a challenging year and I wish colleagues well during their continued efforts to ensure our communities recover from the effects of coronavirus and come back stronger.”
Paul represented Portishead Independents which aims to create an ‘open and innovative council that protects our present and fights for our future’ and was formed in April 2018.
- 1 Popular community centre café closes
- 2 Clevedon man to cycle 'own Tour De France' for breast cancer charity
- 3 Beauty spot used as toilet
- 4 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 5 Clevedon School orders year groups to self-isolate after Covid outbreak
- 6 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 7 Three North Somerset women commended in Queen’s birthday honours
- 8 Somerset Freemason raise £25k to help young people
- 9 Events taking place across North Somerset
- 10 Long-term lease secures football club’s future
The Portishead East ward seat at North Somerset Council will be advertised as vacant and any election, if called, would be suspended until May 2021, to adhere with election arrangements as a result of Covid-19.
A spokesman from North Somerset Council said: “A seat has become available on North Somerset Council following the resignation of Cllr Paul Gardner, one of the members representing the Portishead East ward.
“The seat will now be advertised as vacant and any election, if called, would be suspended until May 2021 in accordance with the current election arrangements as a consequence of Covid-19.
“The ward is a two-member ward and the local community continues to be represented on North Somerset Council by Cllr Caritas Charles.”
To find the district councillor which represents your ward, log on to www.n-somerset.gov.uk/my-council/councillors/councillor/find-your-councillors/list-of-councillors.