SNOW NEWS: North Somerset schools closed and flights suspended
- Credit: Bristol Airport
Temperatures dropped last night (Thursday) as snow battered North Somerset and now the after affects are being felt.
Flights from Bristol Airport have been cancelled and schools have been forced to close for the safety of students and staff today (Friday).
Here is the latest information we have, we will update this story throughout the day with more details as we receive them:
The A370 and other a-roads are coping well but drivers are warned to take care and to plan their journeys in advance, Highways England has warned.
You may also want to watch:
Head of service delivery in the South West, Chris Regan, said: “Gritters are out treating our routes around the clock but it is still important to drive to the conditions when snow or ice is on the ground.
“We advise drivers to please think carefully about if you really need to travel on Friday morning.
- 1 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 2 School girls creates Christmas cards for charity
- 3 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 4 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 5 Preparing for a popular traditional Christmas light display in Kenn
- 6 North Somerset nurses retire following more than 80 years of combined service to the NHS
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 9 Store refurbishment creates fresh job opportunities in Portishead
- 10 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
“If you do, make sure you keep your distance and reduce your speed because, even in conditions that seem normal, it can be slippery if snow is compacted or if ice patches have formed, or where fresh salt has not been worked into the carriageway.”
**We are not aware of any official road closures at this time but will update readers when we have new information.**
First West of England is attempting to deliver as full a service as possible.
There are some minor alterations to some of its routes.
• The A3 from Weston-super-Mare to Bristol Airport will not operate via Brockley Combe but will operate via the A370 and the South Bristol Link Road (A38).
• The X7 from Weston to Bristol will not operate in West Wick and Locking Castle. It will instead continue on the motorway.
Flights to Brussels, Amsterdam and Frankfurt have all been cancelled this morning.
Information for some of the morning flights is next expected at 8am.
People are advised to check their flight on the airport’s website before making the journey.
Bristol Airport tweeted at around 2pm flights for the rest of today (Friday) had been cancelled but hope to resume normal service tomorrow (Saturday).
We are checking with schools’ websites and Twitters for the most up-to-date list of school closures.
If your school is closed and missing from our list – help us inform other parents and students by tweeting us at @NSTimes.
Secondary school closures:
• Backwell School
• Churchill Academy
• Nailsea School
• St Katherine’s School
• Clevedon School
• Gordano School
Primary school closures:
• All primary and specialist schools are closed, with the exception of St Nicholas Chantry Primary School which will be ‘open this morning with limited staff for parents who have to get to work’.
• Tickenham and Yeo Moor primary schools have not as yet declared whether they are open or closed.