New service for adults with disabilities
ADULTS with disabilities and learning difficulties will have a chance to socialise and meet new people when a new service is introduced in Clevedon.
From April 19, the town’s YMCA will put on a weekly session giving them the chance to meet up with others in a similar situation to themselves.
This has been introduced following the news a similar weekly service put on at Barcode youth caf� in Weston will cease due to North Somerset Council budget cuts.
Staff and volunteers at the YMCA in Marson Road have teamed up with support workers from United Response, who provide assistance to people with disabilities, to organise the new service and fill the gap in provision.
It will be held every Thursday from 10.30am-2.30pm and give adults the chance to enjoy activities including table tennis, basketball, football, crafts, cooking and computer games.
You may also want to watch:
Lorna Robinson, a United Response support worker and link youth worker at the YMCA, helped to set up the service with her husband, Kevin, who is also a support worker.
She said: “There is hardly anything in this part of North Somerset which is just for purely socialising and to play games.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 4 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 5 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 6 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 7 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 8 Carpenter wants top Clevedon performance for President's Day
- 9 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 10 Save Weston Big Wood gatherings this weekend
“A lot of support workers say they do a lot of one-to-one work so to meet up with other people and do stuff together every now and then will be nice.”
The Y Thursday session will add to a service already provided at the YMCA every Wednesday evening, called Y Wednesday. This is mostly attended by young adults with disabilities so it is hoped the Thursday session will attract some older adults.
During each session a soup lunch will be provided for �2. Entry is �3. Those needing support will need to be accompanied by support staff.
For more details contact Lorna at the YMCA on 01275 878405.