New installation for shoppers’ safety
SHOPPERS in Clevedon’s town centre will now be kept safer after a bollard was installed to prevent drivers using a road popular with pedestrians.
The device has been put in at the start of Station Road, which is one-way and runs alongside the Queens Square shopping area, to stop drivers using it as a cut-through to reach other parts of town.
Station Road has a block-paving surface, which blends in with that of the pedestrianised Queens Square area. It is only meant for use by vehicles delivering goods to nearby shops but is regularly used by other drivers.
Members of the community group, Clevedon Pride, began working four years ago to lobby for the installation of the bollard.
This followed increasing concern about the number of cars using the road, threatening the safety of shoppers in the area.
You may also want to watch:
In July last year, group members along with parents and traders even held a protest at the junction of Station Road and Kenn Road to discourage people from using it.
The bollard, funded by Clevedon Town Council, was eventually installed on Saturday and will still allow delivery drivers access the street.
- 1 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 2 WIN: Tickets to Oasis concert screening at Clevedon's Curzon Cinema
- 3 Charity gains national recognition at awards
- 4 Care home enjoys visit from donkey
- 5 Earthfare celebrates launch in Portishead
- 6 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 7 The Subways to perform at Bristol O2 Academy
- 8 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 9 Pretty character cottage in Yatton outskirts
- 10 Highland calf born for first time in five years at zoo
Clevedon Pride member and town councillor Linda Knott said: “It took a lot of persuading at both town council and North Somerset Council level, which is why this has taken so long.
“I’ve been told the general public are pleased with it.”
Another Clevedon Pride member and owner of Present Company in Station Road, Julie Bisacre, said: “I think all of the traders are really up for this.
“Already it feels such a safer place to be. Everyone seems to be more relaxed with their children being in the area.”