New future for donkey field
A CLEVEDON field used for many years to graze donkeys will be turned into an attractive space for the community.
St Andrew’s Church has launched the St Andrew’s Glebe Community Project to clear and revamp a field commonly known as the donkey field but officially called Glebe Field.
Used as donkey pasture for many years, the animals have since moved on and the field, adjacent to the church in Old Church Road, is now being cleared by volunteers.
The project will see sycamore trees removed and trees such as cob, walnut and hazelnut planted to create a nuttery.
A path leading along a trail around the field will also be created, to be lined with new seating and benches.
You may also want to watch:
It is hoped a level section of the path will be made wheelchair-accessible
Work has already begun on the scheme, which is expected to take two years to complete and cost up to �8,000.
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 £350k funds for North Somerset projects opens
- 3 New school to open in Yatton later this year
- 4 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
- 5 How to order free Covid home tests
- 6 Group protests against new police and crime bill
- 7 Rotary thanks shoppers for foodbank donations in lockdowns
- 8 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 9 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 10 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
Fundraiser and parishioner Anita Priddy said: “We are hoping to have trees and benches installed by various people who wish to put them in in memory of a loved one.
“This will be a community space for people to use.
“We have got lots of volunteers who are willing to help and we have already started selling logs from the trees which have been cut down.
“It is a community project so anyone who wants to get involved can.”
* Anyone wishing to get involved can call Eric Holdsworth on 01275 874709.
Anyone wishing to donate toward the scheme can call Anita on 876750. Donations can be made by cheque made payable to PCC: St Andrew’s Glebe Community Project and sent to Anita at the Church Office, 10 Coleridge road, Clevedon, BS21 7TB.