New future for donkey field
A CLEVEDON field used for many years to graze donkeys will be turned into an attractive space for the community.
St Andrew’s Church has launched the St Andrew’s Glebe Community Project to clear and revamp a field commonly known as the donkey field but officially called Glebe Field.
Used as donkey pasture for many years, the animals have since moved on and the field, adjacent to the church in Old Church Road, is now being cleared by volunteers.
The project will see sycamore trees removed and trees such as cob, walnut and hazelnut planted to create a nuttery.
A path leading along a trail around the field will also be created, to be lined with new seating and benches.
You may also want to watch:
It is hoped a level section of the path will be made wheelchair-accessible
Work has already begun on the scheme, which is expected to take two years to complete and cost up to �8,000.
- 1 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 2 Earthfare celebrates launch in Portishead
- 3 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 4 Pretty character cottage in Yatton outskirts
- 5 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 6 WIN: Tickets to Oasis concert screening at Clevedon's Curzon Cinema
- 7 Hotel and wedding venue has seen business surge over summer
- 8 From cleaning windows to playing for Ashton & Backwell - Coleman's story
- 9 Highland calf born for first time in five years at zoo
- 10 Masked man caught spying on couple in North Somerset village
Fundraiser and parishioner Anita Priddy said: “We are hoping to have trees and benches installed by various people who wish to put them in in memory of a loved one.
“This will be a community space for people to use.
“We have got lots of volunteers who are willing to help and we have already started selling logs from the trees which have been cut down.
“It is a community project so anyone who wants to get involved can.”
* Anyone wishing to get involved can call Eric Holdsworth on 01275 874709.
Anyone wishing to donate toward the scheme can call Anita on 876750. Donations can be made by cheque made payable to PCC: St Andrew’s Glebe Community Project and sent to Anita at the Church Office, 10 Coleridge road, Clevedon, BS21 7TB.