Nailsea woman, 27, who ‘loved people’ found hanged in her pub home

PUBLISHED: 16:03 04 June 2019 | UPDATED: 16:30 04 June 2019

Talisa-Rose Smith was found hanged in her home above the Old Farmhouse pub. Picture: Mark Atherton

Talisa-Rose Smith was found hanged in her home above the Old Farmhouse pub. Picture: Mark Atherton


A Nailsea woman who had a history of anxiety and depression was found hanged in her home.

Talisa-Rose Smith lived above the Old Farmhouse, in Trendlewood Way, where her body was found by friends on March 19.

At an inquest into her death today (Tuesday), Avon Coroner's Court heard Talisa-Rose, aged 27 who worked as a bar supervisor at the Sawyers Arms, had a history of self harming and received anti-depressant medication in three-day cycles.

PC Anusia Rourke found no suicide note or evidence of a struggle at the scene.

Her GP deemed her mental health to be 'relatively stable' but it took a turn after she found out her personal independence payment would be reduced and she had received an eviction letter from her landlord.

Talisa-Rose also suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder following the death of a close friend last year.

Traces of cocaine and alcohol were found in her body during a post-mortem.

Talisa-Rose's mother, Elizabeth, said her daughter 'loved to spend her evenings laughing with friends' but added she 'struggled' in social situations.

She told the court: "Talisa-Rose began to experience bouts of depression in year nine and she struggled in the school environment as she was autistic and had Aspergers.

"She loved people but could only cope in social groups where her conditions were known, she would often spend her evenings laughing with friends but would go home crying and exhausted by always trying to interpret other people's emotions."

After a conversation with her mother, Talisa-Rose confirmed she had found a flat to look around, money set aside to buy a car and two holidays booked with friends and family.

The night before her death, Talisa-Rose had a meal with her friends and boyfriend, Matthew Wilke, but when he told her he would not be staying overnight she was 'not best pleased'.

Talisa-Rose's friend, Casey Thompson, received a text message from her later that night stating she was driving her car around as fast as she could as she 'did not want to be here anymore', but a later text said she was in bed and 'did not want to see anyone'.

After several unsuccessful phone calls and messages the following day, friends became concerned for her wellbeing.

Assistant coroner Myfanwy Buckeridge concluded the death as suicide.

She said: "She (Talisa-Rose) did take steps to end her own life but it is not known to me what her state of mind was at that time. She found things difficult to deal with but had things to look forward to.

"She took her own life but the question of intent is unclear."

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times