Mum thanks heroic medics who saved her son

PUBLISHED: 07:00 18 September 2019

Zoe Larter and her son Toby with student paramedic Jason Davey, call handler Natasha Pike and paramedic Kirk Renshaw-Ralph.

Zoe Larter and her son Toby with student paramedic Jason Davey, call handler Natasha Pike and paramedic Kirk Renshaw-Ralph.

(C)2016 Jeremy Long / JCLPhotography, all rights reserved

A mother-of-two has praised the 'heroic' paramedics and 999 staff who saved her son when he stopped breathing and turned blue.

Zoe Larter and her son Toby with student paramedic Jason Davey, call handler Natasha Pike and paramedic Kirk Renshaw-Ralph.Zoe Larter and her son Toby with student paramedic Jason Davey, call handler Natasha Pike and paramedic Kirk Renshaw-Ralph.

Zoe Larter, from Nailsea, had completed a first aid training course, but her mind went blank when her 21-month-old son Toby had a seizure and stopped breathing.

She said: "We'd been for a day out in Weston, but Toby wasn't himself. He wanted to stay in the buggy when normally he wants to run around all the time."

Zoe noticed Toby had a temperature when they got home and she put him to bed.

She said: "Toby fell asleep and the next thing we knew he suddenly started jerking.

Zoe Larter and her son Toby with student paramedic Jason Davey, call handler Natasha Pike and paramedic Kirk Renshaw-Ralph.Zoe Larter and her son Toby with student paramedic Jason Davey, call handler Natasha Pike and paramedic Kirk Renshaw-Ralph.

"His whole face went blue and he went limp like a rag doll.

"Our initial reaction was we thought he might be choking on something. We'd never seen anything like it.

"I immediately phoned 999 and spoke to Tash (paramedic Natasha Pike). The first thing she asked was if he was breathing. I said 'no'.

"She gave us really clear instructions on what to do.

"All the way through, Tash was saying she would stay on the phone until the ambulance crew were through the door.

"Minutes later, four ambulance crew came in and took control."

Toby was taken to hospital last month where doctors discovered he had suffered a febrile seizure due to a spike in temperature caused by an upper respiratory infection.

Zoe, who is the head of charity for South Western Ambulance Service said: "He went from just feeling a little poorly to not breathing it was just awful.

"To have Tash on the end of the phone was amazing, she was my lifeline.

"She was being so calm and so clear, telling me she wasn't going anywhere.

"It was exactly what we needed.

"They were just all so lovely. They don't realise just how important they are. They are heroes.

"Being able to call 999 is so reassuring. I can't speak highly enough of them."

Zoe and Toby visited Nailsea ambulance station on Thursday to thank the life-saving team of emergency medical dispatcher Natasha, paramedic Kirk Renshaw-Ralph, emergency care assistants Jason Davey and David Brook, and paramedic Ricky Davies.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists