Musical youngsters win prestigious contest
TWO North Somerset school students are preparing to join full symphony orchestras after triumphing in a prestigious music contest.
Gordano School pupil Rachel Hinchcliffe from Portishead and David Bossanyi from Backwell School auditioned alongside fellow musicians for the North Somerset Music Service Concerto competition. Both were winners selected by a panel of experts.
North Somerset Music Service manager Mark Trego said: “The Concerto Competition offers talented young musicians the chance to perform a concerto or similar work with a full symphony orchestra, an experience that few young musicians would otherwise have.”
Mr Trego said the standard of the contest was very high and while a number of entrants could have coped with the challenge of rehearsing and performing as a soloist with a full orchestra, only two could be selected.
Both talented young people have been rehearsing with orchestras on Saturday mornings, preparing to perform in concert on March 24 at All Saints Church in Weston.
You may also want to watch:
Rachel, aged 16, will be performing the famous Concerto for Trumpet by Haydn with the North Somerset Sinfonia and David, also 16, will perform Rhapsody in Blue by George Gershwin with the North Somerset Concert Band.
- 1 Business delivering fresh fish and meat plans to expand
- 2 Restaurants celebrate successful first week after April 12 reopening
- 3 Surfer sets up new water sports business in North Somerset
- 4 Volunteers collect vast amounts of rubbish from The Portbury Hundred
- 5 Floral display helping to cheer up shoppers in Nailsea
- 6 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser
- 7 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 8 Restaurateur pledges to raise £5k for cinema
- 9 How to order free Covid home tests
- 10 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style