Mum’s charity raises cash for neonatal units
- Credit: Archant
A charity which was set up by a mum from Failand has been providing vital equipment to neonatal intensive care units across the South West.
Charley Maher started The NICU Foundation after her son Harrison was born nearly three months premature.
Harrison suffered breathing difficulties and a bleed on his brain, but due to the excellent support from staff at Southmead Hospital, he made a remarkable recovery and was given the all clear in 2014.
Charley has been raising money for neonatal units ever since.
The charity’s most recent fundraiser was a ball at the Grand Pier in Weston, which was supported by Computershare, Moon Consulting, GBRS Recruitment and the Regency Group as well as Barclays, and raised more than £19,000 for the cause.
You may also want to watch:
Every penny of the money raised will go to neo-natal units. Charley said: “We are paying for three staff at Southmead NICU unit to attend training which supports them in spotting signs of cerebral palsy early.
“We are also purchasing an additional blood box for them which enables them to test babies’ blood.”
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 RNLI helm retires after nearly two decades of saving lives at sea
- 3 School offering transport to vaccination appointments
- 4 Huge country house in historic setting, with views and a pool
- 5 Police thank Portishead community after call leads to arrests for vehicle crime
- 6 Hundreds of North Somerset patients receive coronavirus vaccine
- 7 Storyboat 700+ sets sail in Portishead for 2021
- 8 Portishead GP reminds people to wait for coronavirus vaccine call
- 9 EE switches on super-fast 5G in Portishead
- 10 Congresbury Tennis Club bucks Covid trend
The NICU Foundation is now looking for people to take part in individual events in aid of the charity through its BT MyDonate page at https://mydonate.bt.com/donation/start.html?charity=135887
A Beyond the Stars Cabaret night is also being held at Kewstoke Village Hall, on November 26, in aid of the cause. To book tickets email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Amy Badman on 07977 261829.
You can find out more about the charity and get involved through its Facebook page.