Mum and son’s 10k challenge
- Credit: supplied
A PORTISHEAD mum and her teenage son will run the Bristol 10k to raise money for a charity which supported her following a cancer diagnosis.
Debbie Taylor, aged 42, and her 15-year-old son Zack will take part in the running event on May 5 to collect cash for Penny Brohn Cancer Care.
A week before Christmas in 2010, Debbie was diagnosed with breast cancer and over the next seven months underwent a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery as well as chemotherapy.
It was following her treatment Debbie felt she needed more support and turned to the services offered by the Pill-based charity.
Penny Brohn Cancer Care helps people to live well with the impact of cancer and its combination of physical, emotional and spiritual support is designed to work alongside medical treatment. Debbie said: “I attended lots of different courses and it helped me deal with everything that had happened.
You may also want to watch:
“They were an unbelievable support and I am so grateful and lucky to have them on my doorstep.
“I decided I wanted to do something to help the charity and thought the 10k was a great way to do this.
- 1 Plans for housing on Backwell fields take step forward
- 2 Urgent call for Covid vaccine volunteers in North Somerset
- 3 Clevedon man to cycle 'own Tour De France' for breast cancer charity
- 4 Popular community centre café closes
- 5 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 6 Circus Zyair is coming to Weston-super-Mare
- 7 Events taking place across North Somerset
- 8 Hundreds take part in sponsored walk to raise money for charities
- 9 Valley Fest to go ahead with Texas as headliner
- 10 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
“When I said I was going to do it, Zack said he would like to join me and I’m really looking forward to running with him by my side.”
The Bristol 10k starts and finishes at Bristol’s harbourside and Penny Brohn Cancer Care still has runners’ places available.
To sign up call Andrew on 01275 370073, email email@example.com or visit the website at www.pennybrohncancercare.org/bristol10k