Michael Palin issues Radio 4 charity plea
A FAMOUS actor, presenter and writer will be appealing for people to support a Backwell charity on a Radio 4 show tomorrow (Thurs).
Michael Palin will be talking about the work of Motivation, which improves the lives of people with disabilities, to raise the profile of the charity.
He has been a supporter of Motivation, which is based in Brockley Lane, for many years and this is the second time he will have presented on behalf of the charity on the Radio 4 Charity Appeal. His first attempt in 2008 raised �40,000, which enabled Motivation to set up projects in Sri Lanka, Ethiopia, Sudan, Pakistan and Uganda.
This time Palin will tell the story of Iris, a young girl in Uganda who, aged 12, fell from a mango tree and broke her neck. She spent months in hospital battling life-threatening pressure sores and when she eventually returned to her family, she was confined to her house.
But thanks to a wheelchair and training from Motivation, Iris is now a bright, happy teenager going to school and planning for the future.
You may also want to watch:
The appeal will be broadcast at 3.27pm tomorrow.
- 1 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 2 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 3 Youngsters enjoy pumpkin picking at farm
- 4 Neighbourhood plan to go before council next month
- 5 Nailsea United fall to heavy defeat against Mendip Broadwalk
- 6 Light the Night celebration to take place in Clevedon
- 7 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 8 Age UK looking for North Somerset volunteers
- 9 PICTURES: Nailsea farmers market birthday party
- 10 Decision on Portishead Station delayed until next year