Michael Palin issues Radio 4 charity plea
A FAMOUS actor, presenter and writer will be appealing for people to support a Backwell charity on a Radio 4 show tomorrow (Thurs).
Michael Palin will be talking about the work of Motivation, which improves the lives of people with disabilities, to raise the profile of the charity.
He has been a supporter of Motivation, which is based in Brockley Lane, for many years and this is the second time he will have presented on behalf of the charity on the Radio 4 Charity Appeal. His first attempt in 2008 raised �40,000, which enabled Motivation to set up projects in Sri Lanka, Ethiopia, Sudan, Pakistan and Uganda.
This time Palin will tell the story of Iris, a young girl in Uganda who, aged 12, fell from a mango tree and broke her neck. She spent months in hospital battling life-threatening pressure sores and when she eventually returned to her family, she was confined to her house.
But thanks to a wheelchair and training from Motivation, Iris is now a bright, happy teenager going to school and planning for the future.
You may also want to watch:
The appeal will be broadcast at 3.27pm tomorrow.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 4 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 5 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 6 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 7 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 8 Carpenter wants top Clevedon performance for President's Day
- 9 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 10 Clevedon Marine Lake reopens