Michael Palin issues Radio 4 charity plea
A FAMOUS actor, presenter and writer will be appealing for people to support a Backwell charity on a Radio 4 show tomorrow (Thurs).
Michael Palin will be talking about the work of Motivation, which improves the lives of people with disabilities, to raise the profile of the charity.
He has been a supporter of Motivation, which is based in Brockley Lane, for many years and this is the second time he will have presented on behalf of the charity on the Radio 4 Charity Appeal. His first attempt in 2008 raised �40,000, which enabled Motivation to set up projects in Sri Lanka, Ethiopia, Sudan, Pakistan and Uganda.
This time Palin will tell the story of Iris, a young girl in Uganda who, aged 12, fell from a mango tree and broke her neck. She spent months in hospital battling life-threatening pressure sores and when she eventually returned to her family, she was confined to her house.
But thanks to a wheelchair and training from Motivation, Iris is now a bright, happy teenager going to school and planning for the future.
You may also want to watch:
The appeal will be broadcast at 3.27pm tomorrow.
- 1 ‘Perfect tribute’ as Clevedon Pier named pier of the year
- 2 Carpenter praises Clevedon following success over Chippenham
- 3 Chief constable's bid to overturn ruling on PC's racist language dismissed
- 4 Nailsea & Backwell under-16s get better of Weston on return to rugby
- 5 Business expansion plans get the go-ahead at Royal Portbury Dock
- 6 Nailsea teacher publishes book on cycling challenge
- 7 Stunning and modern four-bedroom home near open countryside
- 8 Suspension bridge to close for maintenance
- 9 Nailsea church awarded grant for repairs and reopening
- 10 Portishead Open Air Pool to reopen on Friday