Councillors approve Mendip Vale’s plans for new surgery
- Credit: Archant
A doctors’ surgery will be built on the edge of Congresbury after councillors accepted the plans today (Wednesday).
Mendip Vale Medical Practice’s application for a new surgery opposite Cadbury Garden Centre, in Smallway, for patients living in Congresbury and Yatton was finally given the green light by North Somerset Council’s planning and regulatory committee this afternoon.
The Times reported in October when the application was turned down by councillors amid safety concerns, despite being recommended for approval by planning officers.
Cllr Terry Porter said: “There is a need for high quality medical care and this would be good for both Yatton and Congresbury.”
Committee members had previously deemed the pavements to be too narrow and a lack of pedestrian crossing options were also criticised.
Mendip Vale responded with both a signalled crossing or a controlled illuminated island crossing as options, but highways officers still felt these provisions ‘were not justified by the volumes of future pedestrian movements’.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Ann Harley added: “This is the way we have got to go, it has been shown how great the need is for something like this for health care provision.
“We would lose the appeal if this was refused.”
- 1 Dad drove family 270 miles for kebab before crashing on M5
- 2 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 3 Portishead Big Clean returns this weekend
- 4 Mental health services to help people cope in lockdown
- 5 Portishead Lake Grounds gates to be installed this week
- 6 RNLI helm retires after nearly two decades of saving lives at sea
- 7 Plans launched to upgrade village's Recreation Club
- 8 Congresbury Tennis Club bucks Covid trend
- 9 Police thank Portishead community after call leads to arrests for vehicle crime
- 10 Clevedon United Girls under-nines pass on thanks to their sponsors
Medical bosses told the Times in October a two-storey building at Smallway was the ‘only option’ as both surgeries in Yatton and Congresbury are too small to meet modern needs and have no option to expand.
For more, pick up a copy of next week’s Times.