Memorial match for Gaz
A FOOTBALL match will be played in memory of a popular Portishead teenager who died last year.
Gaz Hedges, a former Gordano School pupil, died in August after being hit by a car in Nore Road.
Now, his friends and family have organised a match at Portishead Football Club in Bristol Road on May 1 to mark what would have been his 20th birthday.
The idea came from his friend Dan Pitman who wanted to hold an event to celebrate his friend’s birthday.
The match will be held between former members of Portishead Juniors, the team Gaz used to play for when he was younger, and former Gordano Valley Giants players.
You may also want to watch:
During the day, prizes including two signed Bristol City shirts, a football signed by a Bristol City player and a lunch voucher for The Albion Pub in Portishead, will be raffled off.
All proceeds raised during the day will then be donated to Children’s Hospice South West, which runs Charlton Farm in Wraxall, providing care and support to children with life-threatening and life-limiting illnesses.
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 3 How to order free Covid home tests
- 4 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 5 North Somerset restaurants reopen outside this week
- 6 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 7 Trigger chosen to develop project for Festival UK* 2022
- 8 What we know about Prince Philip's funeral at Windsor
- 9 Health shop stocks fruit and vegetables free from plastic packaging
- 10 Holloway helps Northern Ireland women make history after qualifying for Euro 2022
The event, which will also include a barbecue and a bar, will begin at 1pm with the football kicking off at 2pm.