Memorial match for Gaz
A FOOTBALL match will be played in memory of a popular Portishead teenager who died last year.
Gaz Hedges, a former Gordano School pupil, died in August after being hit by a car in Nore Road.
Now, his friends and family have organised a match at Portishead Football Club in Bristol Road on May 1 to mark what would have been his 20th birthday.
The idea came from his friend Dan Pitman who wanted to hold an event to celebrate his friend’s birthday.
The match will be held between former members of Portishead Juniors, the team Gaz used to play for when he was younger, and former Gordano Valley Giants players.
You may also want to watch:
During the day, prizes including two signed Bristol City shirts, a football signed by a Bristol City player and a lunch voucher for The Albion Pub in Portishead, will be raffled off.
All proceeds raised during the day will then be donated to Children’s Hospice South West, which runs Charlton Farm in Wraxall, providing care and support to children with life-threatening and life-limiting illnesses.
- 1 North Somerset residents at risk of PCR lab mix up
- 2 Clevedon Marine Lake to be drained
- 3 Mental health safe space unveiled in Nailsea
- 4 Charity days raise more than £40k for local causes
- 5 Camera club wants new members to join
- 6 PICTURES: Nailsea farmers market birthday party
- 7 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 8 Stone Roses songs to be recreated in Weston
- 9 'Incredible' Nailsea & Backwell RFC win first ever Bristol Combination Vase
- 10 Life-saving equipment installed in town
The event, which will also include a barbecue and a bar, will begin at 1pm with the football kicking off at 2pm.