Memorial events raise thousands for football club
MORE than �5,000 was raised for Portishead Football Club during a special event held in memory of a teenager from the town.
Organised by the family and friends of Gaz Hedges, the event on June 4 saw 300 people go along to watch two football matches, a balloon release and live music into the evening.
Gaz was 19 when he died following a collision with a car in August 2010 and this month’s event was held to mark his 21st birthday.
His younger brother, Billy, took part in the under 11 match between Gordano Valley Giants and Gordano Valley Rangers, with the giants winning the memorial shield.
The second match saw the senior Gordano Valley Giants team win over the Portishead Junior Football Club Oldies, for which they were presented the memorial glass trophy.
You may also want to watch:
The matches were followed by live music from Gaz’s friends Jemilla Dyer and Simon Childs as well as Nine Lights. Revellers also enjoyed a disco.
- 1 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 2 Woodspring Women earn first ever win over Burnham United Ladies Reserves
- 3 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 4 Village bar open again and wants people to help keep it running
- 5 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 6 Pupils beat parents in school fun run
- 7 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 8 Nailsea & Backwell RFC thrash Stothert & Pitt to make it four wins from four
- 9 Town to celebrate art and crafts with inaugural festival
- 10 Gordano RFC edge out Clevedon RFC to maintain perfect start to season