Memorial events raise thousands for football club
MORE than �5,000 was raised for Portishead Football Club during a special event held in memory of a teenager from the town.
Organised by the family and friends of Gaz Hedges, the event on June 4 saw 300 people go along to watch two football matches, a balloon release and live music into the evening.
Gaz was 19 when he died following a collision with a car in August 2010 and this month’s event was held to mark his 21st birthday.
His younger brother, Billy, took part in the under 11 match between Gordano Valley Giants and Gordano Valley Rangers, with the giants winning the memorial shield.
The second match saw the senior Gordano Valley Giants team win over the Portishead Junior Football Club Oldies, for which they were presented the memorial glass trophy.
You may also want to watch:
The matches were followed by live music from Gaz’s friends Jemilla Dyer and Simon Childs as well as Nine Lights. Revellers also enjoyed a disco.
- 1 Unusual spike in Covid cases in parts of North Somerset
- 2 Zoo farm 'distraught' after death of elephant
- 3 Man forced to pay £2k for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 4 Elton John to perform in Bristol next year
- 5 Have your say about possible development surrounding Weston Big Wood
- 6 Public consultation begins on proposed improvements along the A38
- 7 Controversial plans for Clevedon B&M set for approval
- 8 School staff praised for lockdown learning with ice cream treats
- 9 ‘You’ve been flamingoed!”
- 10 Pupils hike up mountain for school sports hall appeal