Mechanic Laura’s Land Rover plea
A BUDDING mechanic from Nailsea is appealing for an old Land Rover which she can dismantle and rebuild so she can commute to college.
Female mechanics are few and far between, but that has not failed to put off Laura Fletcher who has been itching to get her hands under a car bonnet since she was a young girl.
The 21-year-old is now half way towards her dream and has just started a course in lightweight vehicle mechanics at the City of Bristol College.
She has also been helping out at Overland Auto Engineers in Nailsea where she has been getting some hands-on experience and hopes to soon build her own vehicle.
Laura, of Rhyne View, said: “I absolutely love cars and I always wanted to be a mechanic. I always used to ask my dad if I could help him in the garage. He was very surprised at first but now he is really impressed with me.
You may also want to watch:
“I want to completely dismantle and refurbish a Land Rover Defender 90. Not only will this provide me with amazing knowledge of how the car is put together and some much needed transport, but it will be a practical vehicle I can use to look after my two rescue horses.
“I plan to run it on bio-diesel and want to build it from used parts to keep it as environmentally friendly as possible.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 4 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 5 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 6 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 7 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 8 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 9 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
- 10 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
“If anybody has a Land Rover going to waste and would like to donate it I would gladly accept any parts I could get my hands on. I am really looking forward to the day I drive my own car that I have built with my own hands.”
Laura is hoping to meet some fellow females in the industry at college and would also like to inspire more girls to follow in her footsteps.
Martin Ibson, co-owner of Overland, said: “We are proud to have Fletch (Laura) on board, she has already proven herself to be a hard worker.
“There are not enough girls working hands on in the automotive trade. She is an inspiration.”
Anyone interested in donating an old Land Rover or spare parts to Laura can call Overland on 01275 866223.