Man found dead at Walton Castle
THE body of a man was found in the swimming pool of a historic property in Clevedon.
Steven Penny’s body was discovered at Walton Castle in Castle Road in the early hours of March 12.
The 43-year-old from Bristol was the partner of the 17th century estate owner and millionaire, 54-year-old Margarita Hamilton, who he met while working on the restoration of the castle more than 11 years ago.
The ambulance service was called to the scene at about 5am along with the police. However, the incident is not being treated as suspicious.
An inquest into the death of the father-of-two has now been opened and adjourned.
You may also want to watch:
Following the death of Mr Penny, Mrs Hamilton described him as ‘a fine man, a fine father and grandfather who was a genuinely wonderful human being’.
It is understood the couple had been out for a meal with friends before returning to Walton Castle.
- 1 ‘Perfect tribute’ as Clevedon Pier named pier of the year
- 2 Carpenter praises Clevedon following success over Chippenham
- 3 Chief constable's bid to overturn ruling on PC's racist language dismissed
- 4 Nailsea & Backwell under-16s get better of Weston on return to rugby
- 5 Business expansion plans get the go-ahead at Royal Portbury Dock
- 6 Nailsea teacher publishes book on cycling challenge
- 7 Suspension bridge to close for maintenance
- 8 Stunning and modern four-bedroom home near open countryside
- 9 Nailsea church awarded grant for repairs and reopening
- 10 THINGS TO DO: Inflatable theme park returns to Gatcombe Farm Shop
Mrs Hamilton and Mr Penny had gone to bed, before he awoke and went down to the property’s swimming pool.
Their guests then later found him at the bottom of the pool.
Walton Castle is a Grade II-listed hilltop property that shares a driveway with Clevedon Golf Club.
Since it was acquired by Mrs Hamilton and her ex-husband Roy Hamilton in 1984, it has been restored to its former glory and is hired out to the public for functions and celebrations.