Man found dead at Walton Castle
THE body of a man was found in the swimming pool of a historic property in Clevedon.
Steven Penny’s body was discovered at Walton Castle in Castle Road in the early hours of March 12.
The 43-year-old from Bristol was the partner of the 17th century estate owner and millionaire, 54-year-old Margarita Hamilton, who he met while working on the restoration of the castle more than 11 years ago.
The ambulance service was called to the scene at about 5am along with the police. However, the incident is not being treated as suspicious.
An inquest into the death of the father-of-two has now been opened and adjourned.
You may also want to watch:
Following the death of Mr Penny, Mrs Hamilton described him as ‘a fine man, a fine father and grandfather who was a genuinely wonderful human being’.
It is understood the couple had been out for a meal with friends before returning to Walton Castle.
- 1 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 2 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 3 Neighbourhood plan to go before council next month
- 4 Youngsters enjoy pumpkin picking at farm
- 5 Nailsea United fall to heavy defeat against Mendip Broadwalk
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Age UK looking for North Somerset volunteers
- 8 Portishead Art Trail splash sculpture gets a refurb
- 9 Decision on Portishead Station delayed until next year
- 10 Light the Night celebration to take place in Clevedon
Mrs Hamilton and Mr Penny had gone to bed, before he awoke and went down to the property’s swimming pool.
Their guests then later found him at the bottom of the pool.
Walton Castle is a Grade II-listed hilltop property that shares a driveway with Clevedon Golf Club.
Since it was acquired by Mrs Hamilton and her ex-husband Roy Hamilton in 1984, it has been restored to its former glory and is hired out to the public for functions and celebrations.