Man found dead at Walton Castle
THE body of a man was found in the swimming pool of a historic property in Clevedon.
Steven Penny’s body was discovered at Walton Castle in Castle Road in the early hours of March 12.
The 43-year-old from Bristol was the partner of the 17th century estate owner and millionaire, 54-year-old Margarita Hamilton, who he met while working on the restoration of the castle more than 11 years ago.
The ambulance service was called to the scene at about 5am along with the police. However, the incident is not being treated as suspicious.
An inquest into the death of the father-of-two has now been opened and adjourned.
Following the death of Mr Penny, Mrs Hamilton described him as ‘a fine man, a fine father and grandfather who was a genuinely wonderful human being’.
It is understood the couple had been out for a meal with friends before returning to Walton Castle.
- 1 Monthly disco returns for people with disabilities in North Somerset
- 2 Al-fresco summer concert in Clevedon this weekend
- 3 The Hub to host open day in Portishead
- 4 CCTV image released as police hunt missing teenager Tammy
- 5 Weston MP says Number 10 has 'not been honest' over Pincher scandal
- 6 COURT RESULTS: Speeding woman, 71, banned from driving
- 7 Backwell art group to host exhibition
- 8 Help improve North Somerset's water quality with hands-on science event
- 9 Firm's new depot at Avonmouth creates 10 jobs
- 10 Glastonbury Festival 2022: Our review of the Worthy return...
Mrs Hamilton and Mr Penny had gone to bed, before he awoke and went down to the property’s swimming pool.
Their guests then later found him at the bottom of the pool.
Walton Castle is a Grade II-listed hilltop property that shares a driveway with Clevedon Golf Club.
Since it was acquired by Mrs Hamilton and her ex-husband Roy Hamilton in 1984, it has been restored to its former glory and is hired out to the public for functions and celebrations.