Man found dead at Walton Castle
THE body of a man was found in the swimming pool of a historic property in Clevedon.
Steven Penny’s body was discovered at Walton Castle in Castle Road in the early hours of March 12.
The 43-year-old from Bristol was the partner of the 17th century estate owner and millionaire, 54-year-old Margarita Hamilton, who he met while working on the restoration of the castle more than 11 years ago.
The ambulance service was called to the scene at about 5am along with the police. However, the incident is not being treated as suspicious.
An inquest into the death of the father-of-two has now been opened and adjourned.
You may also want to watch:
Following the death of Mr Penny, Mrs Hamilton described him as ‘a fine man, a fine father and grandfather who was a genuinely wonderful human being’.
It is understood the couple had been out for a meal with friends before returning to Walton Castle.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 4 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 5 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 6 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 7 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 8 Carpenter wants top Clevedon performance for President's Day
- 9 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 10 Save Weston Big Wood gatherings this weekend
Mrs Hamilton and Mr Penny had gone to bed, before he awoke and went down to the property’s swimming pool.
Their guests then later found him at the bottom of the pool.
Walton Castle is a Grade II-listed hilltop property that shares a driveway with Clevedon Golf Club.
Since it was acquired by Mrs Hamilton and her ex-husband Roy Hamilton in 1984, it has been restored to its former glory and is hired out to the public for functions and celebrations.