Man who lived in van died from ‘massive overdose’

PUBLISHED: 12:00 24 March 2019


A 69-year-old man died from a ‘massive overdose’ after ingesting tablets in an attempt to end his life, an inquest was told on Thursday.

The court heard how an ambulance was called to Tesco Petrol Station in Clevedon on January 6 after Peter Blissett was discovered acting confused and disoriented.

Paramedics assessed Mr Blissett, who told them he had taken an overdose over the course of three days in a suicide attempt.

Mr Blissett was jaundiced and had a swollen tongue so the ambulance crew took him to Weston General Hospital for a further assessment.

The court heard how Mr Blissett had a history of alcohol abuse and was diagnosed with acute liver failure, secondary to an overdose, when he arrived at Weston General Hospital.

Mr Blissett told nurses he lived on his own in his van and moved around.

Doctors discussed his treatment with liver specialists who said he was not suitable for a transplant.

The court heard how Mr Blissett’s condition deteriorated and he was admitted to the intensive care unit where he suffered a cardiac arrest on January 11.

A post mortem examination was carried out by Dr Demetris Poyiatzis which confirmed Mr Blissett died from a gastrointestinal haemorrhage caused by an overdose and deranged liver function.

At an inquest into his death at Avon Coroner’s Court in Flax Bourton, assistant coroner Terence Moore said: “During his time in hospital he (Mr Blissett) disclosed he had taken tablets during the previous three days and also told doctors this was an intended suicide by staggered overdose.

“He became confused and disorientated due to a deranged liver function and during the post mortem he was found to have a gastrointestinal haemorrhage.

“Dr Poyiatzis puts this down to an overdose and deranged liver function.

“Accepting this cause of death, and the history, it appears Mr Blissett had taken a massive overdose during the two to three days prior 
to his admission to hospital as a staggered suicide attempt.

“There is no evidence it was anything other than self administered for the purpose of ending his life.

“I’m satisfied it was a suicide and that will be my conclusion.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times