Major fire on boat in docks sees one person in hospital
- Credit: Archant
More 50 firefighters were called to deal with a major blaze at Royal Portbury Dock today (Thursday).
Avon Fire and Rescue Service were called at about 3.30am this morning.
A spokesman said: “Over 50 firefighters from 11 appliances, including two turntable ladders and the water safety boat have extinguished a fire in the hold of a ship at the docks.
“The hold of the ship is believed to have been transporting large quantities of animal feed. “Crews worked closely with staff at the docks to tackle the fire using jets and with the aid of the turntable ladders.
“One port operative was taken to Southmead Hospital as a precaution.
You may also want to watch:
“The fire is believed to have started accidentally.”
- 1 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 2 Earthfare celebrates launch in Portishead
- 3 Pretty character cottage in Yatton outskirts
- 4 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 5 WIN: Tickets to Oasis concert screening at Clevedon's Curzon Cinema
- 6 Hotel and wedding venue has seen business surge over summer
- 7 Highland calf born for first time in five years at zoo
- 8 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 9 Clevedon to celebrate National Poetry Day
- 10 Huge housing extension planned for North Somerset town