Library opening date announced
PORTISHEAD’S new library will open at 11am on Tuesday, April 12.
The new modern library, based on the ground floor of Horatio House in Harbour Road, will replace the existing facility in an ageing building in the town’s High Street.
The new premises, bought by North Somerset Council last year, is more than double the size of the existing library.
The current library will close its doors for the final time at 5pm on Saturday to allow books and services to be transferred.
The new library will offer extended opening hours and additional facilities including a larger children’s area with buggy parking, a teenage area, computers and photocopying.
You may also want to watch:
More books will be introduced along with audio books to borrow and DVDs for hire.
New services will include refreshments, a bookable meeting room, a police contact kiosk and a council payments terminal.
- 1 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 2 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 3 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 4 Clevedon Marine Lake reopens
- 5 Summer show goes down a treat in Portishead
- 6 Chiropractors report increase in patients with back and neck pain due to home working
- 7 Portishead's Amelie Morgan wins team bronze at Tokyo Olympics
- 8 Portishead's Morgan excited to make Olympic final
- 9 Protestors take to the streets against Bristol Airport
- 10 New village scout hut in greenbelt approved
North Somerset Council’s executive member whose portfolio includes libraries, Councillor Felicity Baker, said: “The residents of Portishead will very soon benefit from a modern, well-equipped library offering much more than the old one. The Portishead community has expanded dramatically over the last decade and this new library is desperately needed.”
To cover the period between the old library closing and the new one opening, items will be issued for an extended period and will not be due back until the new library is open.
Renewals can be made online at www.librarieswest.org.uk or by phone on 0845 002 0777 using the borrower’s library card number and PIN.
Books can also be renewed or returned to any library in North Somerset or the neighbouring authorities of Bristol, Bath and North East Somerset, South Gloucestershire and Somerset.