Library opening date announced
PORTISHEAD’S new library will open at 11am on Tuesday, April 12.
The new modern library, based on the ground floor of Horatio House in Harbour Road, will replace the existing facility in an ageing building in the town’s High Street.
The new premises, bought by North Somerset Council last year, is more than double the size of the existing library.
The current library will close its doors for the final time at 5pm on Saturday to allow books and services to be transferred.
The new library will offer extended opening hours and additional facilities including a larger children’s area with buggy parking, a teenage area, computers and photocopying.
You may also want to watch:
More books will be introduced along with audio books to borrow and DVDs for hire.
New services will include refreshments, a bookable meeting room, a police contact kiosk and a council payments terminal.
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 £350k funds for North Somerset projects opens
- 3 New school to open in Yatton later this year
- 4 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
- 5 How to order free Covid home tests
- 6 Group protests against new police and crime bill
- 7 Rotary thanks shoppers for foodbank donations in lockdowns
- 8 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 9 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 10 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
North Somerset Council’s executive member whose portfolio includes libraries, Councillor Felicity Baker, said: “The residents of Portishead will very soon benefit from a modern, well-equipped library offering much more than the old one. The Portishead community has expanded dramatically over the last decade and this new library is desperately needed.”
To cover the period between the old library closing and the new one opening, items will be issued for an extended period and will not be due back until the new library is open.
Renewals can be made online at www.librarieswest.org.uk or by phone on 0845 002 0777 using the borrower’s library card number and PIN.
Books can also be renewed or returned to any library in North Somerset or the neighbouring authorities of Bristol, Bath and North East Somerset, South Gloucestershire and Somerset.