Liberal Democrat candidate Patrick Keating pleased party is ‘gaining support’
- Credit: Archant
Weston’s Liberal Democrat candidate says it is the party’s ‘best result’ in more than 10 years.
Patrick Keating finished third in yesterday's General Election with 6,935 votes.
John Penrose retained his seat with 31,983 votes, while Tim Taylor came second with 14,862 and the Green Party's Suneil Basu finished fourth.
Speaking about the result, Patrick Keating said: "I am feeling pretty good, this is our best result in more than a decade and we have built on our share from last time out.
"This shows we are gaining support here and building on our European support.
"We now need to work together with Labour and the Greens to make sure we hold John to account."
Mr Keating said he enjoyed the campaign and would be keen to run again in future.
- 1 Portishead teachers WILL strike over workload dispute
- 2 Construction training centre opens in Portishead
- 3 Residents fear new homes between Nailsea and Backwell could 'open the floodgates'
- 4 Portishead-Bristol bus plan would save £100 MILLION, campaigner claims
- 5 Police take action against middle-lane 'hogger' on M5
- 6 Portishead teachers may strike due to long working hours
- 7 M5 closed after morning crash - causing FIVE MILES of tailbacks
- 8 Contemporary four-bedroom home packed with latest tech
- 9 Taxpayers paid £60k for Liam Fox's failed bid for WTO job: Reports
- 10 Weston bathing water rated 'poor' and swimming discouraged