Legion makes plea for more Poppy Appeal volunteers
- Credit: supplied
PORTISHEAD Royal British Legion (RBL) is searching for more volunteers to help with poppy collections.
The Poppy Appeal, which starts in October and runs until Remembrance Day on November 9, raises funds to support the RBL, the nation’s leading armed forces charity which provides care and support for troops and their families.
In 2013, the generous residents of Portishead and Pill donated a whopping £20,000 to the cause.
A spokesman for the Poppy Appeal said: “We are looking for volunteers, two hours from people is all we need to help make a difference.
“We collect inside at Waitrose, Co-op and at Gordano Services and are always keen to have new volunteers.
“Our collectors return with full collection tins which help to honour both the millions who fell one hundred years ago and their modern day comrades, who still face many of the same issues as First World War veterans did.”
The appeal also needs help behind the scenes with deliveries and stock distribution.
- 1 Parental support charity receives lottery funding boost
- 2 Free Platinum Jubilee events in Portishead
- 3 Public urged to review sites allocated for housing in North Somerset
- 4 LETTER: 'Has our council become a dictatorship?'
- 5 'Rundown' school play area given major refurb after campaign fundraises £10,000
- 6 Specialist pre-school in Clevedon rated 'outstanding' by inspectors
- 7 Clevedon SC secure second place in the Cotswold League Final
- 8 Clevedonian wins competition to name new housing development
- 9 Police rescue broken down bride - and get her to the wedding on time
- 10 North Somerset flytipper pays £1,600 after dumping bathtub
To help or to find out more, contact Sarah on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01275 390970.
Portishead’s Remembrance Day parade will travel from Stoke Road to St Peter’s Church on November 9 and will be led by Portishead Town Band starting at 10.15am.
The RBL will also be teaming up with Portishead Town Band for a concert on November 3 at Somerset Hall in The Precinct, starting at 2pm.
Programmes will be available in many High Street shops throughout October.