Legal action starts to remove Portishead traveller camp
- Credit: Portishead Town Council
Legal action is being taken to remove a traveller encampment from Clapton Lane in Portishead.
The group has set up camp at the sports fields, and Portishead Town Council has been dealing with police and North Somerset Council to go through the legal procedures to remove the group.
North Somerset Council has now applied for an eviction order via the magistrates' court this week.
Cllr Paul Gardner, vice chairman of Portishead Town Council, said: "We were alerted to an authorised encampment on July 11, so we immediately visited the site and contacted the specialist team in North Somerset Council that deals with these matters.
"The group was asked to leave, but having failed to do so, the North Somerset team applied for an eviction order via the magistrates' court.
"We are grateful for their swift action and expect the travellers to be moved on in the next day or two."
- 1 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 2 Woodspring Women earn first ever win over Burnham United Ladies Reserves
- 3 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 4 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 5 Village bar open again and wants people to help keep it running
- 6 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 7 Pupils beat parents in school fun run
- 8 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 9 Town to celebrate art and crafts with inaugural festival
- 10 Nailsea & Backwell RFC thrash Stothert & Pitt to make it four wins from four