Legal action starts to remove Portishead traveller camp
- Credit: Portishead Town Council
Legal action is being taken to remove a traveller encampment from Clapton Lane in Portishead.
The group has set up camp at the sports fields, and Portishead Town Council has been dealing with police and North Somerset Council to go through the legal procedures to remove the group.
North Somerset Council has now applied for an eviction order via the magistrates' court this week.
Cllr Paul Gardner, vice chairman of Portishead Town Council, said: "We were alerted to an authorised encampment on July 11, so we immediately visited the site and contacted the specialist team in North Somerset Council that deals with these matters.
"The group was asked to leave, but having failed to do so, the North Somerset team applied for an eviction order via the magistrates' court.
"We are grateful for their swift action and expect the travellers to be moved on in the next day or two."
- 1 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 2 Exceptional house with grounds, countryside views and outbuildings
- 3 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
- 4 Long-standing Clevedon gift store transformed under new owners
- 5 Portishead's Morgan excited to make Olympic final
- 6 Overnight A&E closures continue at hospital
- 7 Yatton development welcomes first movers
- 8 Charity launches cream tea fundraiser
- 9 Council agrees development plan for Nailsea site
- 10 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset