THE president of Clevedon Sailing Club, Laughton Gomm, died on August 22 leaving behind his wife, four children and 12 grandchildren.
Laughton, also known as Lud, was a founding cadet member of the club and joined in 1953 with his father Harold.
Laughton was a cadet officer and commodore twice. He helped to keep the club running efficiently and saw it grow into the thriving organisation it is today.
He was a quiet, caring man who inspired children and was involved for many years with the Clevedon scout movement.
Laughton was a keen dinghy sailor, yachtsman and caravanner. He previously worked at Gardiner Haskins and had his own business fitting curtains.
You may also want to watch:
In his later years he suffered from Parkinson’s disease and died suddenly at Weston General Hospital. He will be sadly missed by all who knew him.
- 1 Majority of Covid cases in North Somerset caused by Delta variant
- 2 PICTURES: Clear summer skies and solar eclipse in North Somerset
- 3 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 4 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 5 Appeal to find missing teenager Ruben
- 6 Somerset has best Covid vaccine rate for both doses
- 7 Clevedon School orders year groups to self-isolate after Covid outbreak
- 8 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 9 Euro 2020: 7 places to watch Euro 2020 in North Somerset
- 10 Clevedon LTC launch new beginners groups