Ladies Day in Portishead
IT WAS champagne and strawberries for the ladies at Portishead Football Club.
The clubhouse was transformed in to a VIP lounge for the day, to bring Ascot Ladies Day to the Bristol Road venue.
Co-organiser Lyn Hatfield said: “We organised the event for the first time last year when we began our fundraising campaign to raise money for a new stand for the club. It was so popular that we decided to run it every year.”
More than 60 female club members dressed the part to cheer on the horses as they watched races from the famous Ascot course on big screens around the room.
Another of the organisers, Karen Excell, added: “It can be quite expensive to go to Ascot for the day so we thought forget the coach travel, let’s recreate the atmosphere of Ladies Day right on our doorstep.”
You may also want to watch:
The event was opened by carnival queen Hannah Osment and continued long after everyone had gone home from Ascot.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 4 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 5 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 6 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 7 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 8 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 9 Carpenter wants top Clevedon performance for President's Day
- 10 Clevedon Marine Lake reopens