Ladies Day in Portishead
IT WAS champagne and strawberries for the ladies at Portishead Football Club.
The clubhouse was transformed in to a VIP lounge for the day, to bring Ascot Ladies Day to the Bristol Road venue.
Co-organiser Lyn Hatfield said: “We organised the event for the first time last year when we began our fundraising campaign to raise money for a new stand for the club. It was so popular that we decided to run it every year.”
More than 60 female club members dressed the part to cheer on the horses as they watched races from the famous Ascot course on big screens around the room.
Another of the organisers, Karen Excell, added: “It can be quite expensive to go to Ascot for the day so we thought forget the coach travel, let’s recreate the atmosphere of Ladies Day right on our doorstep.”
You may also want to watch:
The event was opened by carnival queen Hannah Osment and continued long after everyone had gone home from Ascot.
- 1 Business delivering fresh fish and meat plans to expand
- 2 Restaurants celebrate successful first week after April 12 reopening
- 3 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser
- 4 Floral display helping to cheer up shoppers in Nailsea
- 5 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 6 Restaurateur pledges to raise £5k for cinema
- 7 Volunteers collect vast amounts of rubbish from The Portbury Hundred
- 8 How to order free Covid home tests
- 9 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
- 10 Surfer sets up new water sports business in North Somerset