In pictures: Nailsea Carnival survives the weather
HARDY carnival goers braved the wet July weather for the annual Nailsea event.
A colourful and musical procession of floats and walking groups made its way through the town centre on Saturday, cheered on by watching crowds who turned out despite the damp conditions.
Starting at Clevedon Road Car Park, the parade made its way to Millennium Park, where stalls and games were put on for all to enjoy.
Due to the wet ground, the lorries were forced to stop on the road outside the park. Yet, despite the bad weather, the event still resulted in more than �6,000 being raised for 1st Nailsea Scouts, which organises the annual extravaganza. The money will go toward the �160,000 the group needs to fund improvements and an extension at its Clevedon Road base.
The Bedford Performers’ Halloween-themed entry was named as the best overall float and Grove Preschool’s Nursery Rhymes entry won the best overall walkers prize.
You may also want to watch:
For more pictures click on the link at the top right of this story.
- 1 Baby Etta is first to be born at Clevedon MIU
- 2 WIN: Tickets to latest James Bond film
- 3 'Inspiring' turnout for village's Great Big Green Day
- 4 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 5 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 6 Scholarship competition worth thousands of pounds launched to find area's next stars
- 7 U-turn as West of England Combined Authority formally opposes Bristol Airport expansion
- 8 Town to celebrate art and crafts with inaugural festival
- 9 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 10 Cycling club using cameras to improve safety on roads
Junior school float: 1st Grove Junior School – Best of British. 2nd Kingshill Primary School – Noah’s Ark.
Mixed age float: 1st Bedford Performers – Halloween. 2nd Adele Stitch School of Dance – Ancient Greek Olympics.
Junior walking group: 1st Hannah More Infant School – 200 years of Hannah More. 2nd Concorde/Compass Cubs and River Avon/Yeo Beavers – Grand Prix.
Mixed age walking group: 1st Two Left Feet – Heroes and Villains. 2nd Nailsea Baptist Church – Running the Race.
Preschool walking: 1st Grove Preschool – Nursery Rhymes. 2nd Happy Hours Nursery – Under the Sea.
Best dressed driver: Kingshill Primary School.
Best overall float: Bedford Performers – Halloween.
Best overall walkers: Grove Preschool – Nursery Rhymes.