In pictures: A-level results day
NERVOUS teenagers received their A-level results with the hope of achieving the grades they need to move on to university or the working world.
This morning (Thurs), hundreds of pupils across the district’s secondary schools gathered to open those all-important envelopes.
In North Somerset, the overall pass rate was 98 per cent and the overall percentage of results marked grades A*-C was 75 per cent.
A total of 13 per cent of students achieved straight A*-A grades in three or more subjects.
Half of maths grades were A*-A, with 72 per cent at B or higher and the sciences again did well, particularly chemistry with 63 per cent of grades at A*-B.
Specialist subjects also achieved well, with 79 per cent of media grades at A*-B and 57 per cent of technology results at this grade.
North Somerset Council’s executive member for children and young people’s services, Jeremy Blatchford, said: “A-level results are a milestone for an increasing number of our young adults.
- 1 Backwell solar energy company to expand into Clevedon
- 2 New 24-hour gym to open in Portishead
- 3 Help reunite owner of lost photo found in charity shop purse
- 4 Weston MP slams council for bus cuts in North Somerset
- 5 Clevedon Choral is digging deep for new members this autumn
- 6 Skate park fundraiser reaches £27,000 - but needs YOUR help
- 7 Weston Labour launch campaign to halt bus cuts in North Somerset
- 8 Life-sized suffragette made of Lego to tour Weston next week
- 9 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 10 Weather warning issued for thunderstorms across Somerset
“They, their families and their teachers have dedicated years to reach this watershed in their lives.
“I am so pleased to see such success and trust they will be able to build on their achievements through completing higher education and professional qualifications.”
* Click on the links at the top right of this story to view our picture galleries and individual stories from Nailsea, Clevedon, Backwell, Gordano and St Katherine’s schools.