Illegal worker arrested
AN ILLEGAL worker was found at a Pill restaurant during a raid by the UK Border Agency.
Acting on information they had received, officers raided World of Spice in Pill Street on March 24.
Following immigration checks, a Bangladeshy waiter was found to have stayed in the country illegally after his visa expired.
He was arrested and later released on immigration bail, which means he must report weekly to a police station while his deportation is arranged.
The restaurant owners face a civil penalty of up to �10,000 unless they can prove they carried out correct pre-employment checks on the man.
You may also want to watch:
UK Border Agency regional director for the South West Jane Farleigh said: “People who are here illegally and the businesses that employ them have nowhere to hide.”
- 1 Decision on Portishead Station delayed until next year
- 2 Responses to Portishead Lake Grounds consultation published
- 3 PICTURES: Lions charity surprises Clevedon residents
- 4 Primary school wins a second award for its focus on pupils’ mental wellbeing
- 5 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 6 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 7 Christmas messages to honour loved ones with Portishead Tree of Light
- 8 Bristol and Weston NHS charities merge under new name
- 9 Youngsters enjoy pumpkin picking at farm
- 10 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children