Illegal worker arrested
AN ILLEGAL worker was found at a Pill restaurant during a raid by the UK Border Agency.
Acting on information they had received, officers raided World of Spice in Pill Street on March 24.
Following immigration checks, a Bangladeshy waiter was found to have stayed in the country illegally after his visa expired.
He was arrested and later released on immigration bail, which means he must report weekly to a police station while his deportation is arranged.
The restaurant owners face a civil penalty of up to �10,000 unless they can prove they carried out correct pre-employment checks on the man.
You may also want to watch:
UK Border Agency regional director for the South West Jane Farleigh said: “People who are here illegally and the businesses that employ them have nowhere to hide.”
- 1 How to order free Covid home tests
- 2 Celebrations after non-essential shops and pubs reopen in North Somerset
- 3 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 4 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 5 Special school expansion progress
- 6 Nailsea's first virtual flower show winners announced
- 7 Nailsea Cricket Club start senior nets for new season
- 8 North Somerset and Somerset libraries reopen this week
- 9 Families enjoy Easter donkey tale trail at church
- 10 Portishead coach firm launches post-lockdown getaways this summer