Illegal worker arrested
AN ILLEGAL worker was found at a Pill restaurant during a raid by the UK Border Agency.
Acting on information they had received, officers raided World of Spice in Pill Street on March 24.
Following immigration checks, a Bangladeshy waiter was found to have stayed in the country illegally after his visa expired.
He was arrested and later released on immigration bail, which means he must report weekly to a police station while his deportation is arranged.
The restaurant owners face a civil penalty of up to �10,000 unless they can prove they carried out correct pre-employment checks on the man.
You may also want to watch:
UK Border Agency regional director for the South West Jane Farleigh said: “People who are here illegally and the businesses that employ them have nowhere to hide.”
- 1 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 2 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 3 Clevedon Marine Lake reopens
- 4 Summer show goes down a treat in Portishead
- 5 Portishead's Amelie Morgan wins team bronze at Tokyo Olympics
- 6 Portishead's Morgan excited to make Olympic final
- 7 New village scout hut in greenbelt approved
- 8 'Amazing atmosphere' at return of Clevedon Parkrun
- 9 Protestors take to the streets against Bristol Airport
- 10 Chiropractors report increase in patients with back and neck pain due to home working