‘Human excrement’ left amid Portishead Football Club damage

PUBLISHED: 06:00 26 July 2017

Holes left in Portishead Football Club's pitch.

Holes left in Portishead Football Club's pitch.


The chairman of a football club in Portishead fears travellers have caused thousands of pounds worth of damage to its ground.

Some of the club's toilets were blocked.Some of the club's toilets were blocked.

A group moved on to Portishead Football Club’s site, in Bristol Road, on the evening of July 14 and remained for three days until the town council arranged for them to be moved on by bailiffs.

Club members were unable to use the site while the travellers were there, but returned to find it in a ‘disgusting’ state with changing room doors broken, toilets blocked and holes dug into the pitch.

Warm-up matches ahead of the new season had to be moved to the Everyone Active Stadium in Clevedon while Portishead Cricket Club, which also plays at the site, was forced to cancel one of its matches.

Adrian Green, football club chairman, said: “There is quite a lot of rubbish and human excrement about.

“We had a gate to the first team pitch and they broke the lock off.

“They dug three quite large holes on the side of the first team pitch.

“The changing room door has been forced entry to and they have been in using the toilets and showers.

“We have a hospitality room and they have trashed that.

“Outside on the pitch we have public toilets – we went in there and it is just disgusting.”

Adrian also praised the town council for its support in moving the travellers on, but later the same day they arrived at the flower show field.

Lesley Cottrell, Portishead Town Council chairman, said: “We were informed of the travellers at the Bristol Road football ground on July 17.

“With assistance from North Somerset Council, the town clerk arranged for bailiffs to visit, which they did, moving the travellers on by 3pm that day.

“Unfortunately they then broke into the showground field resulting in the bailiffs returning to remove them from there the same afternoon.”

Although Avon and Somerset police assisted with the incident, a spokesman said no formal complaint of criminal damage has been made.

A campaign to raise money to repair the damage has also been started online.

Click here to donate.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times