Hopes shop will help Holly Hedge
A NORTH Somerset animal charity will open a shop in Clevedon in the hope of boosting the funds needed to keep it operating.
Holly Hedge Animal Sanctuary in Barrow Gurney has been given a grant to enable it to open a charity shop in The Triangle on December 10.
Selling clothes, shoes, bric-a-brac and a range of other items, charity founder Pauline Leeson is hoping the shop will be a success and help with the work she and her staff carry out to re-home unwanted and abandoned animals.
Due to the recent recession, financial donations and donations of animal food are down, the number of animals being abandoned or needing a new home has increased and the number of people taking on new animals has declined.
All of these factors mean that Holly Hedge in Wild Country Lane is in desperate need of more funding.
You may also want to watch:
Pauline said: “Usually at this time of year, the food donations start stacking up but they are not this year.
“We have already had to make a lot of cut backs and some staff redundancies.
- 1 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
- 2 Long-standing Clevedon gift store transformed under new owners
- 3 Garden waste service disrupted due to 'ongoing crew shortages'
- 4 Green Party candidate elected to council following by-election win
- 5 Council agrees development plan for Nailsea site
- 6 PICTURES: Inside Clevedon Pier's Glass Box Cafe
- 7 Nailsea pub crowned best in South West
- 8 Legal action starts to remove Portishead traveller camp
- 9 Yatton development welcomes first movers
- 10 Sections of historic Portishead railway line to be reused for project
“A lot of animals come in needing dentistry work or veterinary treatment.
“We are really, really struggling and we hope the shop will help us.
“It will also be good for PR and to raise awareness of our work.”
Anyone who would like to volunteer in the shop can email the shop manager Rebecca at email@example.com
Donations of items will also be greatly received once the shop has opened.
Anyone wanting to find out more about Holly Hedge Animal Sanctuary and how they can help can call 01275 474719 or visit the website at www.hollyhedge.org.uk